What's new
What's new

Tooling for lathe and milling machines

adamtop

Plastic
I've got two old south bend lathes and a Bridgeport milling machine( or should I say my dad has them) I wanted to know where to get cutters for them. I was hoping for a physical store in south eastern Wisconsin. If not a physical store probably just recommend who to buy quality mills/cutters. Since its just for hobby stuff it doesn't need to be carbide, but the longer it lasts and the better it cuts.

I've got two old south bend lathes and a Bridgeport milling machine( or should I say my dad has them) I wanted to know where to get cutters for them. I was hoping for a physical store in south eastern Wisconsin. If not a physical store probably just recommend who to buy quality mills/cutters. Since its just for hobby stuff it doesn't need to be carbide, but the longer it lasts and the better it cuts.

SUSSEX TOOL IN LANNON WI.
Great people and I can usually walk in and get carbide endmills and inserts off the shelf. If not its a day away.

Depending on the cost of shipping those lathe tools are worth what he is asking for unusual to see a complete set of those with box.Ebay will give you used tools for a reasonable cost you dont say if you have the tool holders for your mill-just buy them as you need them.Maybe a tipped facemill always research the available of tips before you buy you dont want to buy a tipped tool then find the tips are obselete.Side and face cutters cheap have bought them for the scrap price,few saws,maybe few angle cutters.The list is endless which is why I say buy what you want when you need that way you will accumulate what you need

Last edited:
Maritool, and in my opinion carbide is worth your money even at the hobby level. It holds an edge better and can be run faster meaning you get prettier and more accurate parts.

Tool Holders, Collets and Machine Accessories - MariTool For $43 this endmill is awesome in a B-Port. 1/2 Variable Flute End Mill with 1.25 LOC MariTool

I agree, where a variable helix/flute endmill (ESPECIALLY with a radius) really shines is on a floppier,
less rigid machine.. I've got a CNC'd Wells Index knee mill out here (like a Bridgeport, but
better), and I have to calculate backwards for feeds and speeds to stay within the HP limitations.

Back