What's new
What's new

Tools Behind the Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob La Londe

Aluminum
First off. COOL!!! I still remember my password and my account still works.

** Tools Behind the Lathe **

It kind of makes me nervous to reach across the lathe to grab a tool, but I've seen a number of shop layouts like this where all their tool holders are on a bracket or a shelf on the wall behind they lathe. Sure its not bad if you make 100% sure to stop the lathe every single time, but its really easy to get into a project and just swap tools on the QCTP without shutting down the spindle. Especially when you are doing a semi production part where time is money, or you know the process you are doing and you are trying to make proficient use of your time.

I have a fairly small machine room and for now the wall behind my lathes are bare. The small 8.5x18 rest on a tool chest with all of its tools inside the drawers. It even has a few empty drawers for future tools, storage of extra measuring, tools, parts etc.

The larger 14x40 sits on its own stand with a tool cart pushed back along the head stock. When I am using the 1440 I pull the tool cart out next to me so I can reach to the left and grab most tools I might need. Its fine if I am just standing in that one spot, but often I am bouncing around between machines and the assembly bench. Then the cart is in the way having to be pushed back and pulled out constantly. As a result I often find tools accumulating on top of the headstock of the lathe. If I could eliminate the cart the machine room would have much better flow. Even if I wasn't annoyed with myself about tools accumulating on the head stock it wouldn't hold all the tools I might need for a project.

The answer some home shop machinist have come up with is to utilize the wall behind the lathe for tool racks, pegboard for misc tools and even cabinets. Like I said. The wall behind my two lathes in the machine room is blank, but I do have to admit that when I was using the bench lathes on benches out on the main shop floor there were pegboards full of misc tools and storage compartments behind them. I never did have an accident from reaching across the lathe. If I did you might be calling me stumpy. LOL. However, I did not put the main lathe tools on the pegboard. They were usually laying all over the bench next to the lathe. I wasn't reaching across the lathe to get a lathe tool usually.

I am curious what other folks think about utilizing that wall space. Do you think its dangerous.

This video of this guys shop shows what I am talking about.
This week in Herb's Workshop #4 - YouTube

I do now work full time machining projects within a limited field, but I am also still (and intend to remain so) a one man small home shop machinist. Perhaps it makes a difference whether or not its a one man operation or a machine that's intended to be used by several different people in the course of a day.

** Tools Behind the Lathe **

Shouldn't need a lot of discussion.

"Reachover" quite aside, few who actually USE any of this s**t want tooling or workholding positioned - lathe OR mill - where it is subject to the blast of a stream of chips and coolant, plus the odd workpiece or part-off that escapes.

Daft, that.

Clad the wall with something you can keep clean, put a ledge or resilient flap at bottom to deflect chips back into the chip tray/sump, and find a cleaner, safer place to store tooling - preferably enclosed and on wheels.

The folks that build racks and stuff like the video are doing a disservice to other hobbyist. The magnetic strip with wrenches and files is perhaps even more scary. Not only is the rack dangerous it is clutter that need not be there. One thing a lot of hobby machine users never learn is "housekeeping" All the schools and training syllabus for apprentices begin with simple safety and housekeeping, not too many Youtube videos talk about the rather uncommon, common sense basics.

Steve

Ain't impressed! ....... Scary!

Well it ain't a "work" shop, Ray. Bolton Tools Lathe?

It's more like a diving-board.

Jump-off point for a bulls**t swimming pool.

Another hundred QCTP holders, hammered-in carriage-bolt or no, he'll be seducing lady whales, his dick will be so long...

That magnetic strip is a chip magnet.

I have draws full of tool holders in a mobile tool cart. At the start I select the holders that I will need and put them on top in easy reach.

That layout looks like something out "Happy Homemaking". Not practical.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back