What's new
What's new

Tools you never use

Lanso

Cast Iron
I got this idea from someone else on this site and thought it was a great question:
What tools do you have in your nice wood tool chest that you never use?
Some of mine are the Starrett taper gages 267 & 269 for quick measurement of holes or slots, I bought them in the early 70s on the recommendation of my boss who found them so handy. I just never think of them until I pull open that drawer.
But - Today one came in very handy, first time in 45 years!

When I first started my apprenticeship my dad bought me a " Moore & Wright " automatic centre punch. I very rarely use it but it was the only tool he ever bought me so I'll keep it for ever.

Regards Tyrone.

Carbide scribe. I used it to lay things out in vocational school and have rarely used it since. I also hardy ever use my center punch anymore.

Brent

I tend to sell the things I never use. Like spring calipers. I had a whole set I just sold here. I think I might have used them once to measure a groove diameter.

Same with my T handle hex keys. Everything I work on is so damn tight that I needed more leverage than I could ever get with the T handle.

Brass hand-made marking gauge, about 8" long. Picked it up in an antique store for just a few bucks. What caught my eye is that the hand-stamped date of mfg. was my son's birthdate, but nearly 100 years earlier. I've used it once in 25 years.

There's another little drilling item I have that remains un-used, as I don't know what it is... I'll loop back and post some pics later on.

Chip

I thought a bore gage would be a great thing to have, but I never use it. I always use Starrett telescoping gages.

I also admit that I don't use plunger style indicators much either. I do use test indicators constantly.

My family has been in the metal working trades dating back to the turn of the century.
There is some odd ball tooling and special cutters I just don't have the heart to toss but will never use.
If I had to pick the most useless of it all is a bunch of crane rigging that is rated for 200 tons.
Some of this stuff came out of the ship yards at the end of world war two.

When I first started my apprenticeship my dad bought me a " Moore & Wright " automatic centre punch. I very rarely use it but it was the only tool he ever bought me so I'll keep it for ever.

Regards Tyrone.

Strange, I bought a set of tools from a tool & die maker who decided to try to drink the county dry. It had a General brand automatic center punch. Handiest tool in any of my boxes. Use it quite often, I have owned it for 50 years, sharpened it twice in that time. I have many tools that I could lose tomorrow and never miss, but that one would have to be replaced.
JH

Back