Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Top Loader Washing Machine with NO Agitator is not getting clothes clean.

JST
    JST is offline Diamond

OK, the OP doesn't want to hear about front loading, and said so.... tough.....

The top loader seems to have a problem because it has to force the water up into the clothes..... sounds like the O.P.'s unit has issues, because it simply isn't possible that a credible machine would not at least do a reasonable cleaning job. It must just be "dampening" the clothes, and not circulating dirty water away.

The only way it CAN work is if there is enough water to significantly "more than dampen" the clothes...... and it appears that isn't happening. presumably the "agitator plate" moves up and down, pumping water up into the clothes. Otherwise they would need to be 'swimming" like the old top loaders had the load.

We went from the agitator style top loader to front load quite a while ago. Instant big improvement, AND less wear on the clothes.

The F/L moves the clothes through the water, the T/L would have to move the water up into the clothes, and let it drain back.... Seems silly, and far less efficient in terms of the complication needed.

Agitated T/L just did the same thing as the F/L, by forcibly swirling the clothes around in the water. It isn't as if they took each piece and beat it with a stone, like folks washing down at the creek, or rubbed them on a board. But because the clothes had to be swimming in water, the T/L used a lot more water.

If you just have to have a new T/L, I guess that's OK, but a F/L is much simpler, and does the same job better.

As for bending over, with T/L you still have to bend over the top of the machine and scoop the clothes out of the "bucket'.... difference with no distinction, as far as I can see.

Yes, the O.P. 's machine seems to be "broke".... he had me at "clothes still smell dirty".... that tells me the clothes are just getting "dampened", but there is no actual water circulation taking dirt "away".

GeoD is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by S_W_Bausch View Post
    But it satisfies the latests Gubmint energy regulations..... isn't that what matters?

Top-loading washing machines haven't been the same since the feds started regulating washing machines. I am not joking about this.
    Yes. Just like the self clogging toilets and the low flow shower heads. Maybe the people who came up with these mandated reductions in our standard of living don't poop much, rarely shower, and like clothing that smells of hamsters.

More likely regulators see themselves as our superiors, and exempt themselves (and have illegals to do their laundry) while doing all this "For Our Own Good". Remind me how many house boats Al Gore has?

crrmeyer is offline Hot Rolled

Quote Originally Posted by jdj View Post
    Are you guys ACTUALLY saying that they don't even make and sell top-loading, agitator type washing machines anymore?!?!? I haven't had to look for one in 10 years, but this is the first I have heard of any such situation.
    Speedqueen still make home-use top load agitator type washing machine. They are built like tanks, work well, and have had zero maintenance needed so far. I really like that if maintenance is required, it can all be done from the front.

Link:
    Speedqueen.com: Home Laundry -
    jdj likes this.

Willy is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    "...................
    .................As for bending over, with T/L you still have to bend over the top of the machine and scoop the clothes out of the "bucket'.... difference with no distinction, as far as I can see.
    ".
    Huge difference in standing erect and reaching down to, say one's knees,
    compared to bending over completely and at the same time doing another 90 bend into the machine in order to retrieve clothes.
    Probably the biggest reason just about every major manufacturer still makes a top loader.

Granted front loaders have had the edge on overall efficiency for a long time but this has changed rapidly in the last few years because a large segment of the buying public prefers top loaders and are demanding efficiency as well. Take a close look at a modern high efficiency top loading machine...they've changed drastically in the last 5-7 years.

adama is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Huge difference in standing erect and reaching down to, say one's knees,
    compared to bending over completely and at the same time doing another 90 bend into the machine in order to retrieve clothes.
    Probably the biggest reason just about every major manufacturer still makes a top loader.

Granted front loaders have had the edge on overall efficiency for a long time but this has changed rapidly in the last few years because a large segment of the buying public prefers top loaders and are demanding efficiency as well. Take a close look at a modern high efficiency top loading machine...they've changed drastically in the last 5-7 years.
    You could not sell top loaders here. The Front loaders all fit in a std 600mm wide gap in your kitchen layout, with a piece of worktop over the top of the machine in 99% of uk homes! As to bending over, you simply crouch down and reach in, there is no bending over double and reaching. Its called exercise, not something i hear you guys like, being the fattest race on the planet :-) what's more there just as easy to use if your disabled and wheel chair bound! Not something you can ever say about a top loader. Most modern front loader's barely have any water in them, most don't even fill up much above the bottom 1" of the clothes drum, its the key to there low water use and brilliant cleaning.

Capp48 is offline Aluminum

Top washers w/agitator are still being made. But as S_W_Bauch stated, with the Government regulating what and how we wash clothes, it is only a matter of time until it is against the law to own a top washer w/agitator. I recently purchashed two of the tree hugger offending machines at Home Depot. They work just fine. Felice Anno Nuova everyone.

Zonko is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by GeoD View Post
    Yes. Just like the self clogging toilets and the low flow shower heads. Maybe the people who came up with these mandated reductions in our standard of living don't poop much, rarely shower, and like clothing that smells of hamsters.

More likely regulators see themselves as our superiors, and exempt themselves (and have illegals to do their laundry) while doing all this "For Our Own Good". Remind me how many house boats Al Gore has?
    Some a you people just have to be pissed for the sake of being pissed, ehhhhhh

Never had our water saving toiled clogged since we got it (15 years or so) , turning down the shower way low myself because i like it that way. Id feel like burning alive with the kind of temperature and water flow some people prefer......

Ron of Va is online now Aluminum

We have a top loading washer with an agitator. Works great, I can fix just about anything that goes wrong with it. My wife asked me if we could buy a new front load washer and dryer.

I said, “Sure, as soon as this one becomes irreparable.” She asked, “Where do you keep your sledgehammer?”
    JoeE. likes this.

3t3d is online now Titanium

If it is made in China, would that make it a "Communist Agitator" ?
    thebigron and jdj like this.

JST
    JST is offline Diamond

Dang..... most folks here appear to have absolutely no clue whatsoever of what they are talking about.....

All this "guvmint" mandating stinking dirty clothes.....?????? Where is this coming from? Honestly, I used to think americans were smart.

First, any type of machine can be made badly and be a total POS...... that says a lot about the company, but not much about the general type.....

A front loader of decent quality should get clothes cleaner than a traditional top loader, use less water than the old top loader even if you double rinse, tear up the clothes a lot less than the old top loader, is easier to load and unload than the top loader (unless your knuckles drag on the ground when you walk), uses less soap while doing a better job than the top loader, and spins out almost all of the water so that the dryer does a lot less work.

If you bought a POS, well, that's what you bought, and no a POS doesn't work well, because it IS a POS.

But don't be trying to say ALL front loaders are like that, because a lot of us know better, and it just looks silly when you say that they all suck, it's a guvmint cornspiracy, etc, etc..

The Sears items...... the problem was buying anything with a Sears name that has a mains cord...... doing that is taking a chance. And, of course, buying anything from them that they particularly want to sell, is even riskier. Your story indicates the way THAT works..... jam crap down anyone who will stand still for it.

We bought a "Duet" washer years ago... front loader. I usually do the wash, so I know how well it works, and it works a lot better than any old-type top loader I ever used, such as the one we had before this washer. uses less water, and less soap, and gets clothes much cleaner. What's not to like?
    jdj likes this.

mark costello is offline Hot Rolled

1974 model Maytag TL, first time replacing belts, $35.
    jdj and James H Clark like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12