bridgedog is offline Cast Iron

Default TOS Trencin sn 40 b questions

I purchased a TOS Trencin SN 40 B 16/24 X 60 lathe a while back. It was purchased new in 78 by a local mill. The millwright who ran this machine tooled it out very well and bought it at auction when the mill closed down. It had been in storage for the last ten years. It has a 16 inch Bison 4 jaw and two 14 inch three jaw chucks on a D1-6 spindle. It also has a center rest and 5 live centers up to 8 inch. There is a C1 Aloris QC with 20 toolholders and a cabinet with over 1000 inserts that need to be sorted out. It also has 5 Springfield boring bars fom 1/2 inch to 1-1/2 inch. It also came with MT drills from 1\8 inch up to 2-1/2 inch in 64 ths. I have not found any dings or wear on the ways. I paid 5000 for the whole package and think I did well. I have searched the forums and have not found much information. So my questions are what are the general thoughts on this machine? Are there many of them out there? Any big do's or don'ts? Anybody running one? I have flushed out the gear boxes and found no metal. I do need to find a good ball oiler that will fit all the different size fittings. Thanks for any info
    John

Tyrone Shoelaces is offline Titanium

"TOS " used to make fairly good lathes. . They were obviously not of the highest standard but very good value for money. A machine from 1978 should be in pretty good condition. Another thing in their favour is as far as I know you can still get spare parts.

Regards Tyrone.

redlee is offline Hot Rolled

We have one at work, its been pretty good. Parts are easy to get.

sable is offline Stainless

My Uncle has one and I don't think he has had any problems, they have a pretty good spec and it sounds like yours is well kitted out .As far as I know these lathes are still made and look like they are basically the same models as they have been since the 60's ,don't know if that is the case or if they have been "cheapened" like most other things nowadays.

Lastuneste is offline Aluminum

TOS Trencin make my favourite manual lathes. Indeed, the basic set-up has been roughly the same since those 1970s models, and I find them very practicably designed. Our CNC shop's manual guy uses a TOS of the same generation as yours, and my tech school also had several lathes by the company, old and new. Unless severely maltreated, slip fit tolerances are easy to achieve with those machines.

The only gripe I have about the lathe I used the most (think it was from the 1990s) is that the coolant drain hole of the chip pan had to be really accurately placed for the coolant to end up back in the tank below. If it had been my own machine, I would've devised some sort of Bubba fix for it.

Limy Sami is online now Diamond

The SN 40 has been dropped, but they're a good workhorse, mind you I've a soft spot for TOS lathes so I'm biased

Tos now called Tencin

FYI Products

bridgedog is offline Cast Iron

Interesting that all the replies were from outside the U.S.A. I am just getting to know this machine and find it very accurate with very large dials for my old eyes. Thanks for the replies.