What's new
What's new

Removing old oil zerk on lathe

jrolands

Aluminum
Hey
I was wondering if someone can tell me how I can remove old broken oil zerks from my lathe.
I don't know what it's called spesificly, but it's a pressfit one like on this picture.
79ddfc57315188554643f73f493b47ce.jpg

I don't have access to press it out from underneath so I'm kinda lost right now. :confused:

Drill (the balls soon go) and tap for a pulling bolt.

If too thin for tapping I keep drilling until the walls thine enough to peel away.

Can you use an old chisel to get under the lip and carefully pry around the outer diameter with a thin screwdriver? If not you'll probably have to drill it out and/or tap.

I've used all three of the last post 3, 4, 5, .... also a EZ out in a drill will work sometimes. The chisel is the one I used last week to remove two on the tailstock of a used lathe we just bought.

Steve :codger:

I had asked the same question about a year or so ago. Someone then mentioned using a sheetrock screw, or wood screw. Screw it in, then pull out the works with a claw hammer. Worked well.:)

I pull them out with a screw held in a slide hammer. McMaster, Enco and others will have a replacement, perhaps under oil hole covers. Most common brand name is "Gits."

A sheet metal or other hardened screw works well to remove those zerks. I've done a couple of them on my lathe and they come right out. Once the screw is tight, you can lever them out with a pair of large sidecutters.

The screw method also works on roll pins as well. I was working on the X-axis handle of my milling machne recently and I discovered that a roll pin used to locate the handle mount on the right side was broken off inside of its hole about 1/8" short of the end of the table. After a couple of tries, I managed to get a steel paneling screw tightly set in the center of the broken pin. I used my sidecutter trick and levered it right out. It broke when it came out, but it got the job done.

Here's a picture of the results.

BrokenRollPin.jpg

Back