What's new
What's new

Fair price for a Romi 13-5

bruszw1

Plastic
I just went and inspected the above lathe as a potential purchase for my shop.

The seller is asking $9,000. The salesman who is doing the deal (a tool dealer) says that I should not offer much below that.

The machine seems to be clean and tight, but I cannot inspect it under power. All I could do is the touchy-feely stuff (look at ways, tapers, check the backlash, etc.) I am mainly not inclined to pay asking price because I couldn't even turn it on.

It has a 90's vintage Acu-Rite and basic tooling: a three-jaw chuck (Bison), a collet closer and about a dozen 5C collets, Aloris-like quick change, a live center, 2 TS chucks--that's it. I do not consider that complete tooling. The salesman feels that this is complete tooling and thus demands the asking price.

To the best of my knowledge, it is a minimum of 12 years old. The salesman says the machine was about $15,500, new.

Comments on the price and any of my above thinking is very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

-Walter

Romi 13-5 is a 13" swing manual lathe? If so, it's got to be a total creampuff to bring $9k, and I would darn sure have to see it run. Without being able to see it run, it's a crapshoot at any price.

Regards.

Mike

The romi 13-5 is a good machine. As a service tech I have seen them take alot of abuse. I believe the where made with the bridgeport name on them. They do have a light tailstock "short stroke". They where sold for about $15,000 new. Parts are available with a long lead time.

Sorry to be alittle late to the show. For what it is worth, I own a 13-5 manufactured in 89. I paid $1000 for mind in 2000/2001, it was barely used. My employer at the time was a Machine tool distributor and had purchased in the early 90's looking to do turnkey work for their customers. That business plan did not work out for them, they were asking $2000-2500 to sell them to customers but when I asked for it for my own use, they sold it to me for the discount. Hopefully that helps. When I purchased mine, it did not have a tool post, no tooling, only a 3 jaw chuck and steady rest.

I would say today $2-3000 is reasonable for the base machine, $9000 is silly unless it comes with a bunch of tooling and accessories.

BTW, what did you get, if anything yet?

The seller is asking $9,000. The salesman who is doing the deal (a tool dealer) says that I should not offer much below that.

Cannot run it ? can't tell if the gears/bearings are noisy/messed up ?

Anyone demanding the top price would wire it, and allow a complete inspection
under power, you bring some stock, you take some cut's, you try EVERY gear,
EVERY function.

And he gives you a 30 day warranty.

Do you know why he said "don't go under $9,000" ?

'Cause he works for the seller, always, no matter what comes
out of his mouth.

The higher the selling price, the higher his cut.

Digger Doug is 100% right - the more you spend, the more he makes. I took a quick look at one dealer's web site, and a 13x42 LeBlond was $ 5900, a 14.5 Monarch was $ 5000, and a 13" Standard-Modern was $ 6500. Any way you look at it, $ 9000 is overpriced, especially if it can't be run.

There are other lathes out there - At $ 9000, I would suggest that you keep on looking.

Over the years I've bought 4 used Romi 13 inch lathes. I've paid between 2,500, to 5,000 depending on the year, and condition. I purchased these machines from dealers, not individuals. Unless this machine is in brand new condition, and comes completely tooled up...your getting hosed!

Back