What's new
What's new

Mitts & Merrill #3 keyseater parts.

fix

Cast Iron
fired the M&M up the other morning and 3 teeth broke off the pinion gear. it's a 1951 manual model.(have a #3 hydro as a spare :)
it was 29f in the shop so im guessing the fiber/plastic gear just busted from the cold..hell i didnt even get to make a cut.
called M&M today and they said sorry we dont make them anymore.
anyone have a gear laying around or know where to get one?

i cant believe this.it's the second topic about machine stuff noone has/can answered.
what? am i the last ole skool machinist left on this forum?
the first q was about an American holewizard.
now this M&M keyseater.
maybe i should keep my questions on the order of cats,light bulbs and "how to move stuff".

agreed

I'm sure this thread would be at least 4 pages long if there was some mention about moving you bridgeport into a second story bathroom to keep your cats from pissing on it.
Good luck with the gear
Dan

i'll rephase it.
i moved my M&M ketseater into the neighbors house and some how broke one of his light bulbs.how can i fix this?
he HAD a cat that pissed on my tire what can i do about that?
while stuffing the keyseater thru his bathroom window i somehow broke the pinion gear the the old M&M.
am i..or is he liable for the damage?
considering he said it was A OK to use his driveway...altho it was my truck.
i sure do need advice on " how to get assistance".
oh...and the color of his bathroom is puke...what should he repaint it with??/white or eggshell?
and WTF can i find a friggin gear for this machine?
thank you kind sirs..

Instead of whining about lack of help,help yourself by giving the number of teeth,dimensions,type of bore etc.Then someone less lazy than yourself may look up the gear catalogues for you and point you to a standard gear that may easily be made to fit your application.Alternatively take it round to someone who cuts gears and ask them to make one for you.
Mark.

Instead of whining about lack of help,help yourself by giving the number of teeth,dimensions,type of bore etc.Then someone less lazy than yourself may look up the gear catalogues for you and point you to a standard gear that may easily be made to fit your application.Alternatively take it round to someone who cuts gears and ask them to make one for you.
Mark.

Plus 1

Ever heard of please, thank you, or even, ''guys I'm in trouble can you help?'' or as an old aunt taught me ''I want doesn't get.''

sorry fellas for lashing out..not my nature at all.just a bad day at the salt mine.
i found a chunk of material and made a single point cutter out of 1/2 HSS.
chucked in the dividing head and fly cut the teeth.
worked great for this old keyseater (actually runs quieter).
please except my apologizes.
Paul

Wings Machinery somewhere up in Illinois deals in old M&M's

As for the gear, determine pressure angle, pitch, face width, bore, and material it needs to be made of. Get with Martin Gear in Dallas or Boston Gear, who I think is in Kentucky. While you're at it, try to secure one of their catalogs for the next time you need a gear. Order a stock spur gear, and machine it to match what is broken.

Outside of that, make a blank, get your milling machine set up with the proper gear cutter and make yourself one. May not be a true involute, but would likely be fine, provided you do the necessary heat treating when you're done.

Good luck.

Richard

Richard, wings is where we get the cutters for the machine.
ive tried calling them this past week and the phone just rings on and on.
doesnt even kick into answering machine mode.
i think the've been abducted.

Back