What's new
What's new

Transporting Tools On Passenger Jets

apt403

Cast Iron
My grandfather passed away recently - He spent his career working for a major university, retired as the lead machinist.

Apparently no one else in the family took a second look at his tool boxes, my grandma was planning on donating them to the Goodwill next week - Three hours before my mother's return flight was taking off, she decided to text me a couple pictures.

Long story short, I offered to reschedule my mother's ticket, and caught a red eye out to Honolulu.

Anyone run into issues with the TSA going through security with suitcases full of metrology equipment or machinery? I'll be shipping quite a bit back to myself via flat rate boxes, but I'd like to make sure some of the more sensitive stuff stays with me. Monetarily, there's nothing really crazy in value, but I can't replace the Interapid engraved with my grandpa's initials.

There's also a big 'ol drill grinder, probably weighs 100+ lbs. Too large to fit into a large flat rate, but I'm confident I could get it into a suitcase small enough to use as a carry-on. Not sure how a TSA agent will react when that one shows up in the baggage x-ray machine...

In carry-on, ANY tool longer than 7" will get confiscated, period. They took my 8 and 10 mm long-pattern allen wrenches out of a pack. I would suggest purchasing hard-case, lockable tool travel suitcases and checking them for the flight. You will get all kinds of scrutiny for indicators / calipers / etc in carry-on baggage and they may confiscate them.

I can't answer you're question, but the one and only time I had to take a piece of equipment (my Biax scraper) through customs I nearly had it confiscated, so best to check first!

Who knows what the TSA will do. Not even the TSA.

I once carried on a bag full of fishing equipment. Take-down rods, reels, and some pretty good sized saltwater lures with large single and treble hooks. They didn't give it a second glance. Yes, it was post-911.

And yet Joe Foss - an ex-governor no less - could not get on a plane with his Medal of Honor, because it had a pin on the back.

My grandfather passed away recently - He spent his career working for a major university, retired as the lead machinist.

Apparently no one else in the family took a second look at his tool boxes, my grandma was planning on donating them to the Goodwill next week - Three hours before my mother's return flight was taking off, she decided to text me a couple pictures.

Long story short, I offered to reschedule my mother's ticket, and caught a red eye out to Honolulu.

Anyone run into issues with the TSA going through security with suitcases full of metrology equipment or machinery? I'll be shipping quite a bit back to myself via flat rate boxes, but I'd like to make sure some of the more sensitive stuff stays with me. Monetarily, there's nothing really crazy in value, but I can't replace the Interapid engraved with my grandpa's initials.

There's also a big 'ol drill grinder, probably weighs 100+ lbs. Too large to fit into a large flat rate, but I'm confident I could get it into a suitcase small enough to use as a carry-on. Not sure how a TSA agent will react when that one shows up in the baggage x-ray machine...
anything heavy and big will have problems. i had a carbide insert milling cutter they were debating was it a potential weapon. a hammer is a potential weapon, a razor knife a weapon of coarse. i had a diploma in a glass case they opened suitcase as it showed as a rectangle on xray. they definitely will open things to look at. they will look at things that can be assembled and made bigger and into a potential weapon.
dvd and cd-rom show up as circles on xray. laptop cables they will look at. they even get nervous about batteries. a lot of things they often do not like.
digital camera in suitcase often will get stolen. just saying a lot of people opening luggage and hard to prove stuff was stolen when you arrive and pickup luggage suitcases

I don't even try carrying any tools on. I carry all my stuff in two Pelican cases. FYI, most airlines will rape you if you try to check a bag weighing more than 50 lbs.

You're going to have nothing but problems. Pack the stuff well and double box it and ship it to you. Even stuff checked can go awol. I've heard the solution for that is too carry a firearm and have it checked in the same bag. Once its marked as such no one will consider touching it...

Last edited:
You're going to have nothing but problems. Pack the stuff well and double box it and ship it to you. Even stuff checked can go awol. I've heard the solution for that is too carry a firewall and have it checked in the same bag. Once its marked as such no one will consider touching it...

I agree with pack and ship it all, but,,,,,,
Carry a firewall? What the hell is that?

Ship it. I have had them confiscate even small Allen wrench sets. There is no consistency. If you have to ship anything fragile, consider using the cheapest fedex air service (used to be called 3 day super saver). Do not ship ground.

I once had an electric sander in my carry-on - TSA looked at it very carefully before deciding that it was OK, probably since it would have made a lousy club. The suggestion to us some hard-sides suitcases and just take things as checked baggage is a good one since the rules change as the world situation changes.

I carry tools all the time on airplanes. Have flown to Europe, Asia and all over the USA. Knock on wood, I have nnever lost a bag or tool box. OH NEVER LOCK the tool box or suitcase as TSA will break into them or cut the lock or delay the bag. I buy tool carts like this. Stanley 24 in. Pro Mobile Tool Box-:)26R - The Home Depot

I then use duct tape or nylon straps to hold them closed plus the locks they have. But do lock electric tie or use a pad-lock on them as they will be broken open. years ago you could lock them, but not since 911 you can't. I also fly first class because you can take 3 bags up to 70 pounds domestic and 55 pounds international. Other wise coach cost extra per bag each way. If I take more tools to a job I ship them via UPS. One thing you could do would be to have your Mom take the tools to a UPS store and they will pack it for you. I would insist that they use double walled cardboard boxes or 2 boxes one inside the other wrapped in bubble wrap. Be sure any oil is drained. If you want to talk about it PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Rich

I once had an electric sander in my carry-on - TSA looked at it very carefully before deciding that it was OK, probably since it would have made a lousy club. The suggestion to us some hard-sides suitcases and just take things as checked baggage is a good one since the rules change as the world situation changes.

I carried a BIAX Power (electric) scraper in carry on once. TSA hand carried it to the gate and they asked the planes Captain if it was OK, he said yes, but they put my carryon in a coat closet.

Especially valuable info if the origin point is Hawaii.

You can ship ground from Hawaii to Seattle (see attached from UPS). But the reason for Fedex air is not as much as they use airplanes, it is how they handle the packages more gently. This is based on many years of shipping sensitive and very expensive scientific instruments.

Attachments

• UPS_GND.JPG
    UPS_GND.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 106
frequent flier tips

I have traveled via passenger airline quite a bit with my kit that includes a Miller Dynasty 200DX, hand tools, grinders, etc. as checked baggage.
some pointers;
>DO NOT even try to take tools in your carry on, except Lithium ion batteries. the current thinking is they would rather have a fire start in the cabin than the cargo hold, at least you could see it and take measures. coin size cells are ok in checked baggage (camera, auto-dark welding helmet, caliper), anything bigger, (drill, tool, phone aux. "power pack" etc.) pack in carry-on, WITHOUT tool.
> they always open at least one of my 2 or 3 boxes. I've had few losses, and even gained a utility knife. it is quite possible that some of the losses were inadvertent, but in any case, I try to take common "well used" stuff in my travel kit.
>show respect for the underpaid overworked staff who opens your stuff. make it easy to unpack and inspect your kit. DONT OVER-PACK! (try it yourself and imagine you don't know what any of it is, you have 2 min. max,) include a description of anything remotely suspicious (I describe the welder, even). if at all possible, give them the option to power it up.
> include your name, address, and cell number, and extra zip ties
> DO NOT EXCEED 100 lbs per bag!
>shop carefully for the low fare, INCLUDING over wt and extra bag charges. some carriers charge a LOT more for those. saving 40$ on the fare only to find you are hit with 100 more than the other carrier at check in isn't fun.

frequent flier tips, part 2

oh yes, definitely don't lock anything, understand they DO have to inspect tools.
>I arrive at baggage check with open boxes, let clerk inspect, and then apply nylon zip ties. only way to go.

FFT addendum

they (the carriers) intentionally make it difficult to comparison shop on baggage charges. last time I flew, (Feb. domestic US), Virgin America was much better than Jet Blue, $70 less in fees. don't know if VA is still better after being bought out.

I don't even try carrying any tools on. I carry all my stuff in two Pelican cases. FYI, most airlines will rape you if you try to check a bag weighing more than 50 lbs.

Southwest is not bad for overweight & additional (more than 2) checked baggage. American airlines & Delta are pretty bad, Spirit by far the worst.

Back