What's new
What's new

Tree 2UVR Horizontal Milling Attachment Missing Gears

everettengr

Aluminum
I was given a HA-75 Tree horizontal milling attachment, but the gears inside are missing. I would love to get it working but can't seem to find any info/details on it. I can't even figure out how it was attached to the head. I assume the collet closer would have to be removed?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Mark

IMG_6703 copy.jpgIMG_6705 copy.jpg

Since nobody has replied. I don't have that exact unit but do have a Tree right angle unit called a "Inner Mill" which I will foolishly assume is similar. Looks like you are missing the ring/pinion gear on the shaft and missing the drive shaft that mates with the collet closer. That missing shaft "might" look like the screw on collet nose with an integral solid collet. Those "wings' on each side slide into the grooves on each side of the Tree Milling head, for rigidity. I believe the way it works is you install the missing shaft.gear into the suitable Tree collet,or replace the collet nose with the special nose collet piece, slide the head up into place, install the keepers on each wing......he says. Or you might have to split it in two, install all the driving stuff and then install the lower bits...just don't know. It is probably more fiddly than that, but you get the idea.

I think that the collet nose must be removed from the head for the horizontal attachment to slide onto the t-slots on the head. Otherwise the hor-attachment hits the nose piece. I'm hoping someone on the forum can provide pictures of this so I can determine if it is feasible to get it working. Most likely, I will try to find one on fleebay and use this a spare or for parts if needed.
Mark

Call Monica over at ZPS. ZPS bought was was left of Tree and still provides support to the manual mills.
When I was refurbishing my 2UVRC / Journeyman 200 she took care of me. There is also an attachment like yours on craigslist in Covina (Los Angeles), CA. Dude wants a bit much I think though. I have the right angle attachment, and like you, am missing the drive shaft as well.

Here's the CL ad.
TREE MILLING MACHINE RIGHT ANGLE HEAD ATTACHMENT

Good luck with your Tree. ZPS contact info is below.

[edit] Just saw you are in San Diego. So am I.

Monica Yuhas
ZPS-CNC USA , Inc
762 Brookview Ave
Burlington, WI 53105

262-758-6129 ext 201
262-661-4502 fax
find us on facebook

Thanks for the referral to ZPS. I talked to Monica and she is working on it. It is a long shot, but she says they may have parts.
The Covina craigslist attachment is a little pricey, but it looks like everything is included. Probably worth half of what he is asking, IMO.
Gotta love SD!

I hope it is worth half what he is asking, because that is about what I paid for mine...
I hope ZPS is able to help you, otherwise you are going to have a real tough time finding a gear, and for the record, no, you don't have to remove the collet nose, just the threaded keeper.

Sorry, I guess it may not be obvious if you have never removed the t-nuts.
Basically you take the t-nuts off, slide them into the mill head, and then slide the right angle head on and put the bolts in.

I made a simple wood carrier to hold the thing upright so I could just use the table to raise it into place, otherwise you have to hold it up and it is damn heavy.

Sorry, I guess it may not be obvious if you have never removed the t-nuts.
Basically you take the t-nuts off, slide them into the mill head, and then slide the right angle head on and put the bolts in.

I made a simple wood carrier to hold the thing upright so I could just use the table to raise it into place, otherwise you have to hold it up and it is damn heavy.

After finding more pictures, it all makes sense. Thanks for the description.
Maybe I get lucky with ZPS, if not I will keep watching the interwebs.

Hey, just a crazy idea, maybe try to make the missing drive shaft? If we could somehow talk the dude in Covina down, measure the one in his, find a dividing head, then cut the gear? I assume that the missing drive shaft has a bevel gear on the end?

There is likely a ring and pinion setup inside the right angle head? Pictures anyone. Then there are the two mating bevel gears at the quill. Could be done, but would be a lot of work. Call the Covina guy and see if he is willing to bargain.

If its of any help, I bought a Tree right angle head recently, not like this one, not even similar. It has a loose pinion gear that slides up into a 3/4" collet. Just like a Bridgeport RAH, clamps to the quill of the spindle. But the gear set in this head is standard off the shelf Boston gears. They are spiral bevel gears. So you may take a look at Boston Gear and see what you can come up with. May have to bore out the gears to fit accordingly.

BTW- If ZPS has the replacement parts, I bet the price quoted will exceed the price being ask for the one on CL.

Ken

If its of any help, I bought a Tree right angle head recently, not like this one, not even similar. It has a loose pinion gear that slides up into a 3/4" collet. Just like a Bridgeport RAH, clamps to the quill of the spindle. But the gear set in this head is standard off the shelf Boston gears. They are spiral bevel gears. So you may take a look at Boston Gear and see what you can come up with. May have to bore out the gears to fit accordingly.

BTW- If ZPS has the replacement parts, I bet the price quoted will exceed the price being ask for the one on CL.

Ken

IS this the one you have?
If so, would you by chance have the part# from Boston Gear?
Right Angle Attachment.jpg

Mark, I realize this post is 5 years old, but did you ever find anything for this from ZPS or other ? I have this unit complete and can send pictures if needed. The gears were made by arrow gear.
Jon

jkopel

I have the Tree made R8 to Tree QR spindle adapter. I have the lever for that and think it is the same. I will post some photos in the next few days

Andy

Here are a few let me know if you need more.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5651.jpg
    IMG_5651.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5652.jpg
    IMG_5652.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5654.jpg
    IMG_5654.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5656.jpg
    IMG_5656.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 64
Hi Andy, could you please post a few shots of your Tree adaptor that the closer tool you have pictured goes to.
Thank you very much.
Best Regards,

Scott Davis

Here are a few let me know if you need more.

Andy

Andy, thanks for the pictures. Is this a factory closer ? The angle kind of surprised me. When using, do you change the orientation, IE one side facing out to tighten and the other to loosen ? Just trying to figure what is needed to make one. Thanks, Jon

Jon
I am positive that is the factory closer it matches other pictures I have seen.
I think you are correct about rotating it to open versus close.

Josh

Back