What's new
What's new

SAJO UF53-P Horizintal Mill -New toy

JohnEvans

Titanium
Toss up whether to post here or antique. But anyway furthering my addiction I bought a new to me toy today. My machine dealier friend and me went to look at some stuff yesterday and he went back today but seller could not make the mill run. He bought it anyway and I showed up at his place as it was delivered. He left and I played !! Powered it up and did a few electrical checks and discovered the big long lever that I thought was a brake/clutch was really just the power on/off switch ! With the spindle running I was able to determine all axis power feeds worked. Has universal table 9X42" 40 taper. I knew what he paid for it and I got it for 2 Franklins over that with the knoledge that everything worked. I'll get some better pictures when I get it home. Some what surprised that it does not seem to have rapids in the feeds and so far don't see a way to stop the spindle and keep the feeds active. Of course I'm a total noob on horz mills.

Attachments

• phone pic dec 067.jpg
    phone pic dec 067.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • phone pic dec 069.jpg
    phone pic dec 069.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 738
Horizontal mill is like when you first get a lathe... after a little while you start wondering how you ever lived without it. Squaring the edge on stock, cutting slots in the ends of long parts, keyways, all kinds of things you'll start using it for. Looks like a nice solid machine.

where ya gonna put it?

Boy that is the question ain't it.Right in the middle of what empty space I have. Going to get a pallet jack so I
can make it semi-mobile.

John, I bought one of those in 1986, sold it once & then bought it back again. If I had come across you photos at random I would have sworn that was my machine, same colour, same condition. I eventually sold it earlier this year for less than £200. Incredibly well built small horizontal, mine was a universal machine - swiveling table, power feeds in all directions, unusual in a small horizontal. There are no rapids but if you look at the photos I have posted you will see that mine, like yours, only has one hand-wheel on the table. On my machine that hand-wheel was at the opposite end to yours, on the other end of the table on my machine you will see there is a crank handle, it drives through a small gear unit so the lead screw rotates about 2.5 turns for every turn of the handle, a hand rapid mechanism. It may have been an option, I will study your photos later to see if I can see the unit. On the right hand side front of the saddle there is backlash adjuster for the table traverse, it can be used if climb milling or as very effective table lock. It is a jewel of a mechanism,too much to describe here. If I can help you with anything please ask & I will see if my memory is up to it. Ray
Sajo 7.jpgSajo 8.jpgSajo 9.jpgSajo 3.jpgSajo 4.jpg

daredo222: You are right could be the twin to mine for sure. I get it home next week I will post up some decent pictures. The other end of my table has nothing other than the bearing housing for the lead screw. I do have a small
Heald horz mill that has that fast return gear setup. Many thanks for your info so far,I may be calling on you
with more questions. I gave $650 for it as it sits.
John

I have a Sajo universal horizontal mill: Model UF 48, Date of Manufacture 1952, Serial No. 2052, table swivels, handwheels at each end of table. I paid around $1000 for it. There is a bronze bushing with oil groove in the outer arbor support that at some point will need replacing. No idea as to source for it.

Last edited:
Pictures finely !

Remembered to take my camera with me today ,and as it turns out the Swedish girl came home today also .
A couple of questions first any idea of motor HP ?
Second It looks like it has a automatic feed trip on the Z ,is that right? If so I am missing the bit that contacts a diamond shaped piece on the right side of the knee.
And for Ray is this the backlash/X lock that I'm pointing out with a bit of bar?

So far so good as it is now under power at my house. Next step is replenish/change the lube in about 5 different gear boxs
TIA John

Attachments

• SAJO mill 002.jpg
    SAJO mill 002.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 573
  • SAJO mill 003.jpg
    SAJO mill 003.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 344
  • SAJO mill 004.jpg
    SAJO mill 004.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 303
  • SAJO mill 006.jpg
    SAJO mill 006.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,040
  • SAJO mill 007.jpg
    SAJO mill 007.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 362
I don't know anything about that particular model SAJO but do know they made a good product. The shop I worked in bought about 10 CNC SAJO's in the late 80's and ran them 24-7, they are still in use today. I asked an operator in the mid 90's about them; He told me the one he ran was only down for a repair 1 time for 2 days in all that time. I've looked at some of those manual machines at auctions and really wanted one because of that reputation and they look there real stout. It looks like you got a deal, I hope you get good use out of it and enjoy it.
Dan

Well I have gotten this old mill cleaned up a bit and everything lubed so today I thought I'd see how it works.
Had a chunk of 1.125 thick steel laying around and clamped that to the table and took a few passes with a 5"X3/4
stagger tooth mill. It do make chips !! Toe clamps kinda get in the way so I thought I would try some Mitie-Bites
that I had bought awhile back. Never had used that style clamp but I will say I'm impressed with how they work.
Need to get another 4-6 of them. Maybe Santa will bring me a Kurt D-688 for Christmas for that mill!
[Not holding breath}
John

A few minutes slotting like that and you wonder how anybody has patience enough to use a Bridgeport and endmill, eh?

Yeah. Had to put a 16mm wide key in a 65mm OD shaft. I didn't have a 16mm wide side & face cutter so loaded up a 9/16" one. 1 main pass to full depth then 2 flank passes to clean it to size, job done. Could have done it in 2 passes but time wasn't really of the essence, so I snuck up on final width.

Key was a nice tap fit. More better, the runout cut is a lot less susceptible to stress cracking than if I'd used an end mill. The CNC mills can ramp out to get the same effect but I don't have one of those.

I like my horizontal mill, it earns its keep.

PDW

Hi John,
I only saw your post this morning, sorry for the late reply. Yes, that is the backlash adjuster. The lead-screw nut consists of two separate parts, one simply fixed in the saddle, the other half is constrained longitudinally but free to rotate & one end of this nut consists of a flange that is a worm wheel. The square headed nut is a worm that is engaged with this worm wheel & when turned rotates the worm wheel/nut until any free movement is eliminated. I did say it wasn´t simple to explain! The other square headed bolt is one of the bolts that clamps the swivelling table, I think there are four of them in total.

Ray

Thanks Ray. OK next question is there any kind of an overload/safety clutch on any of the power axis feeds?
I was checking travels out the other day and when Y was very close to the column it made a ratching sound.As
I had my hand on the feed control I quickly dis-engaged the feed. I think your hand crank rapid return must have been a option as my mill shows no sign of ever having such. My Heald horz has such a geared up rapid return on it.
Any idea of weight and motor HP?
TIA John

John,
I can´t be sure about the safety clutch but have a faint memory of something. I would be surprised if there wasn´t something considering how well the machines are built. I always assumed the weight was a bit less than a standard Bridgeport, in round figures one ton. Re the horsepower, if you open the rear door which gives access to the vee belts you should get a reasonable view of the motor & there should some info. on it. Another point about just how nice those machines are is that little external hand-wheel for adjusting the vee belt tension.

Ray

The manufacturer, Sajo Maskin, is still in business, so it should be possible to get information, and perhaps even parts.

Sajo

While I see no mention of a US representative, you will find the email address and telephone numbers at the bottom, and also on the Kontakt page.

Never mind that it's all in Swedish - they will have no problem with an email in English.

Back