What's new
What's new

Trouble finding DP chuck with MT3 mount

challenger

Stainless
I am getting a Wilton 20" (old) drill press and it has a mt3 spindle but I am not having any luck finding a chuck with this type of taper. Anyone have a good source?
Thanks-Howard
Hampstead, NC

They are common as dirt. But the usual thing is to buy a 1/2" capacity chuck made by Jacobs or Albrecht or Rohm with a female 6 Jacobs taper in the back end. Then you buy an arbor with a 3 Morse taper and a male 6 Jacobs taper. Clean all the oil off the mating surfaces and put them together with a good lick from a brass hammer. You will want a wedge for removing the chuck from the drill press, too. And you may end up with some Morse taper shank drills, so a 2MT to 3MT adapter will be useful.

You can find such stuff at MSC, Amazon, eBay, etc.

Larry

Are you certain you need a MT3 and not a JT3? If so, I'd like to see a picture as I have never seen a drill press with a male MT shank.

I checked out this Dp again today. It has a taper in the spindle but the spindle does not have a place to insert a drift to remove a taper. It has a "nut" that needs a spanner wrench to remove it from the spindle. At least this is what it appears to have??? Also the taper that is in the spindle is not a Jacobs type?
Thanks-Howard

There are several different models of Wilton 20" drill press on eBay now. Several of them say they have 3MT spindles, and several just don't say, but probably do. A 20" drill press of high quality Swedish make will not have only a male Jacobs taper on the end of the spindle. A Morse taper spindle is always a female, to allow drills and chuck arbors to be inserted.

The 3MT spindle might extend below the bottom spindle bearing and have a visible extractor slot. But I have seen spindles where the 3MT is flush with the retainer for the bottom bearing, with the taper entirely enclosed in the quill. On those, you feed the quill down out of the head all the way. Then you see a slot in the quill that will line up with the extractor slot in the spindle if you rotate the spindle properly. Then you can use the wedge in the usual way to extract the drill or chuck arbor.

Larry

I checked out this Dp again today. It has a taper in the spindle but the spindle does not have a place to insert a drift to remove a taper. It has a "nut" that needs a spanner wrench to remove it from the spindle. At least this is what it appears to have??? Also the taper that is in the spindle is not a Jacobs type?
Thanks-Howard

MMM? I think it's piccy time,....... thousand words and all that.

Don't know what, "piccy time" means?
I think I iwll just need to inspect the DP closer once it is at my shop. Where it is currently located is not a good location for a detailed inspection at this time. It is a wharehouse and since purchasing the DP they have started to use the area where the DP is as a work area and it is very congested and too much work going on so I am in the way. They will be moving it to a loading dock soon for my pick up. I am confident that the spindle will have a slot for gaining access to the taper for removal. I am not a DP expert however I have seen a Delta style spindle that house the taper in the manner you describe. It is their "heavy Duty Dp700 spindle if I am not mistaken. I have also looked at the newer DPs that are made by Jet but are the only ones that come up from the Wilton site (I suppose they are chinese garbage now) and I get redirected to the Jet site. None of these DPs have the type of spinde with the taper housed inside the quill so no information could help me. I also googled "drill press spindle types" and got nowhere. I will confirm your suggestion that the spindle is housed inside the quill soon I hope. It is my understanding this type of spindle is more stout due to the bearing locations and will therefor deflect much less laterally.
Thanks for the help-I hope this post was not too "piccy". If so my apologies.
Howard
Hampstead, NC

There are several different models of Wilton 20" drill press on eBay now. Several of them say they have 3MT spindles, and several just don't say, but probably do. A 20" drill press of high quality Swedish make will not have only a male Jacobs taper on the end of the spindle. A Morse taper spindle is always a female, to allow drills and chuck arbors to be inserted.

The 3MT spindle might extend below the bottom spindle bearing and have a visible extractor slot. But I have seen spindles where the 3MT is flush with the retainer for the bottom bearing, with the taper entirely enclosed in the quill. On those, you feed the quill down out of the head all the way. Then you see a slot in the quill that will line up with the extractor slot in the spindle if you rotate the spindle properly. Then you can use the wedge in the usual way to extract the drill or chuck arbor.

Larry

I will post pics asap. I did look at the DP again and it does have access to the taper through the spindle. It was not easy to find due to the area where it is located. I was not able to get the taper out-didn't bring a drift with me. It has a 4" column and looks very heavy duty and is US made which is a must for me. 1 1/2 hp 1-ph motor with VS pulleys which I have read is not the best VS setup but for $500.00 I think it is a great buy considering the great condition it appears to be in. My concern lies mainly in the lack of documentation and parts available. Also the taper that is in it is not a Jacobs taper so I will look for a MT2-mt3 sleeve. The only ones I've were on ebay are chinese and well enough said IMO.
Thanks so much for sharing your valuabe experience and knowledge.
Howard

Piccy time= Pictures please. All the posts and a picture would help clarify .

Back