What's new
What's new

Firefox 4.0 anyone using it?

SchneiderMachine

Stainless
Anybody try out Firefox 4.0 yet? This thing is flying, 3.6 seemed to be sluggish, so sluggish in fact that I started using Internet exploder as it was a touch faster, not anymore, So far, I'm happy.

Dave

3.6 is locking up my work PC and I'm about sick of it, but I don't like the look of 4.0.
I especially didn't like that it moved me to 4.0 without me approving it. Took a bit to get back to 3.6

I find Firefox 4 is great, lots of things you can do like "sync" your Firefox between 2 or more computers so you get access to all your saved passwords, bookmarks and history, which is handy if you have a PC and a laptop.

When I tried v4.0, something (can't remember what) broke, so I went back to 3.6.

But if speed is what you are after, why not use Google Chrome? I think speed is one of the key design goals for Chrome.

I tried FireFox 4 and had problems with my Windows XP computer.
It kept locking up the computer and i lost functions

Ended up going back to FireFox 3.6.16.

Firefox 4 did work fine on my Linux Mint 10 computer.

I am finding Linux mint is great for older slower computers

The other day I saw a little message on my Firefox main page asking if I wanted to try Firefox 4. I wasn't unhappy with the version I was running, but I said, "What the heck" and allowed it to install. It was pretty much of a non-event. I haven't found anything that would cause me to say it is better, but it isn't worse in any way, either. In the computer realm, I guess we'll call that a win.

One oddity is the BACK button. Prior versions had a little down arrow that showed the progression of websites you followed to get to where you are, and let you jump back in one big leap, not from one site to the next. This feature is now incorporated into the BACK button itself. If you hold the clicker on the BACK button, the progression shows up after a second or so. This is OK by itself, but where before you could go back one step with one click of the BACK button, now it sometimes takes several clicks to convince the thing you really want to go back.

I have not noticed any difference in speed after switching to version 4. On this computer (Windows XP) EVERYTHING is sloooooow. My other computer, with Ubuntu Linux, is blazing fast in comparison. If you want fast computing, and don't rely on any s/w programs that require MS, switch to Linux and don't look back. The difference is like night and day. As an added bonus, you will never see the idiotic "You have unused icons on your desktop" message again!

Steve

Steve

When I tried v4.0, something (can't remember what) broke, so I went back to 3.6.

But if speed is what you are after, why not use Google Chrome? I think speed is one of the key design goals for Chrome.

I just switched to Chrome and I'm now a happy camper. I used Firefox for years, but I got real tired of it always having to update every time I tried to load it. As for IE, it redefines the word slow.

I just switched to Chrome and I'm now a happy camper. I used Firefox for years, but I got real tired of it always having to update every time I tried to load it. As for IE, it redefines the word slow.

Yep Chrome here too. Also a long time Firefox user, but once I switched to Chrome I have not looked back. Two things I like: keeping bookmarks in sync on several computers, and the memory management model: Chrome runs each tab in a separate OS process rather than thread & this works well particularly when there are lots of open tabs. I think Firefox's resource management begins to thrash over a certain number of tabs/threads.

--Larry

Several of my more useful add-ons are not yet compatible with Firefox 4.0, so I'm waiting until they are.

Haven't noticed any speed problems with 3.6 myself.

No problems but I could live without it.
Moving the "home" icon to the far right is vexing, along with jamming other icons in the top left.
No support for the Google toolbar.

To go back several pages right click on the back button, list of pages appears as in days of old.

It will not support one of my mail providers, "old technology".

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta tell ya, I was a Firefox devotee and then switched to Chrome to see what all the hype was about... :willy_nilly:
I didnt like it. It wasnt horrible by any means, it just wasnt Firefox... :typing:
Maybe Im just not big on change... just wasnt for me :drool5:

Moving the "home" icon to the far right is vexing, along with jamming other icons in the top left.

You do know that you can customize the layout, right?

Right click on the home button, choose "customize" from the menu, then you can drag and drop or add and delete things on the bar wherever you want them.

One oddity is the BACK button. Prior versions had a little down arrow that showed the progression of websites you followed to get to where you are, and let you jump back in one big leap, not from one site to the next. This feature is now incorporated into the BACK button itself. If you hold the clicker on the BACK button, the progression shows up after a second or so. This is OK by itself, but where before you could go back one step with one click of the BACK button, now it sometimes takes several clicks to convince the thing you really want to go back.

thanks! i was missing that little button, guess i should've read the manual:D works fine for me, already used to it.

seems to load PM faster so that's plus but they should be shot for putting tabs at the top by default. it's like they looked at chrome and opera and decided to copy the stupidest part of both those browsers...at least it can be changed. one thing i like about firefox is how painless it is to customize, makes it easy to get the most useable area out out of small screens.

Attachments

• pm.JPG
    pm.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 76

Back