What's new
What's new

Machinery astetic customization

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
Anyone ever seen or had experience with 'modding' their equipment? I'm a 22 year-old video gamer. I like jazzing up my consoles with lights, fancy paint jobs, and performance moddificatons. I'm wondering if anybody has ever done similar stuff to their mill or lathe. An idea I had was for our ZPS-Tajmac R5 turret lathe in need of a restoration. I was thinking about replacing the headstocks top panel with a lexan sheet (origianlly red plastic) and mounting green lights down inside the headstock out of the way and under the cairage, bed, and tail assemblies. The original paint scheme's already classy (light green gloss with dark green hammertone and red details).

Now I know this serves no purpose to get product out the door or make the machine better equiped or more accurate, but hey... it'd look cool! It's all hypothetical. I've seen lots of neat machines out there that came from the factory with fancy castings and shiny brass, but has anyone added this kinda stuff to equipment?

In restoring a machine it seems like most people would shoot for an older look, this is the first I've heard of someone wanting to do-up a machine like they would a computer case. I'd say got for it!

If it's a geared head lathe, a clear cover so you can see the gears in action would be look cool. It'd make it a lot more "dynamic" in use too. Throw in some LED's to illuminate it.

I'd leave it alone, it's an insult to the machine to put decorations on it.

Whatever though, it's yours, do what you want.

In past years at the Chicago machine tool show I have seen Studer grinders snazzed up with fancy paint jobs, it's pretty spectacular. Go for it!

Todd

----"I'd leave it alone, it's an insult to the machine to put decorations on it. "

I disagree, this is like "nose art" on a WWII warbird.

Some machines in some shops are extensions of one's creativity, by making that machine unique to the individual owner, I'm sure it would only add to the enjoyment of being in the shop.

My modding is limited to things like pinstripes on a vintage Barnes lathe, or if it's making a newly acquired machine (that needs restored) painted to match the colours of existing shop machinery... I don't see any harm.

I like the idea of putting clear lexan covers over gear boxes, if it's done right, (making a metal frame to cover the edges and borders of the lexan, then painting the frame the same colour as the rest of the machine, that would really look nice.

Jason

Wow, thanks for the replys!

I do have to say, I'm not into doing outlandish stuff. I think there's a balance to keep. I've got a 53' chevy I've been working on and although it's becoming a custom, I'm leaning FAR over to the restoration side of things. All the chrome stays, no neon paint , ect. But beauty's definantly in the eye of the beholder. The guys that shave chrome can do so so long as they put it on the market for the guys that need it. I think there are some machines that shouldn't be messed with however for the sake of keeping history aflot. But the stuff in between....:).

nose art

----"I'd leave it alone, it's an insult to the machine to put decorations on it. "

I disagree, this is like "nose art" on a WWII warbird.

Some machines in some shops are extensions of one's creativity, by making that machine unique to the individual owner, I'm sure it would only add to the enjoyment of being in the shop.

My modding is limited to things like pinstripes on a vintage Barnes lathe, or if it's making a newly acquired machine (that needs restored) painted to match the colours of existing shop machinery... I don't see any harm.

I like the idea of putting clear lexan covers over gear boxes, if it's done right, (making a metal frame to cover the edges and borders of the lexan, then painting the frame the same colour as the rest of the machine, that would really look nice.

Jason

Now nose art on a lathe front that would be cool. Maybe a woman in repose across the tail stock end of my traytop!

I also thought a simple but fun mod was to mount 50's hood ornaments on the overrams of our mills. I've got two to work with (55' Plymoth belvedere, and a swan thing that I haven't identified yet). Might be a bit too out-there on the smaller machines though.

I enjoy changing cheaper handles on some machines into the ball type found on most Hardinges. Easier control, and they look better in my opinion. Also, some engine-turning on bare steel and aluminum does wonders on some machines.

Jason

I enjoy changing cheaper handles on some machines into the ball type found on most Hardinges. Easier control, and they look better in my opinion. Also, some engine-turning on bare steel and aluminum does wonders on some machines.

Jason

+1 on some engine turning. I have an old SB 4-way toolpost with some, looks very nice. I do not know if they came that way from the factory.

I'm hoping to hop on the ZPS lathe project this summer. We won't be able to set it up for awhile bit I hope to at least get the spindle going and the main frame painted by august. I'll post pics and deffinantly include the 'mods'.;)

Question: Anyone know a good source where you can get small (12" or so) florecent lamp fixtures that are watertight and have mounts?

I'm hoping to hop on the ZPS lathe project this summer. We won't be able to set it up for awhile bit I hope to at least get the spindle going and the main frame painted by august. I'll post pics and deffinantly include the 'mods'.;)

Question: Anyone know a good source where you can get small (12" or so) florecent lamp fixtures that are watertight and have mounts?

Use LED or EL wire lighting.

I almost put flames coming back from the spindle nose of my 10EE, but the light blue/grey of the back coat didn't really look like it'd support flames... maybe if I ghosted them in I could get away with it.

Way back in time I "improved" a stapler for my wife - painted it red and put some flames on it for fun. She wasn't really enthused with it and my son snagged it for his office.

I ran my gearhead lathe with cover removed and plastic sheet in its place. Sort of cool to see the gears when spindle at very low speed, but above a couple hundred rpm, oil flings up on the underside and then you can't see anything.

Taste is personal, but I'd hate to see a nice old lathe modded like cheap PC.

Back