What's new
What's new

Scraping blade question

shapeaholic

Stainless
I have been working away at scraping my Hendey T&G lathe and I was wondering about the grade of carbide used in the carbide blades that I use?

Some of the ones I have are Sandvik 620-2525 h10 ISO-k10. These are very good blades that keep an edge well, BUT they are quite expensive.
I also have a couple of Anderson tube type scraper blades of unknown grade, and some Biax blades, again of unknown grade.

I have noted that the Sandvik blade are very nicely ground and when honed on a diamond lap they take and keep an edge well. In comparison, the Anderson and Biax blades are not as well finished and neither take or hold an edge as well as the Sandvik blades.

I generally polish the sides of the Biax and Anderson blades and this gives a better edge, but they still don't hold up as well or "seem" as sharp as the Sandvik blades. This leads me to think that there is a difference in the grade of carbide.

Can anyone give me some idea what would be the correct grade of carbide to get? I googled K10 and it would appear to be equal to C3-C4, but I really don't understand the grades very well. Would C3 be better than C4? Or should I use C2?
Could anyone suggest a supplier of hight quality carbide blanks?

Pete

I am in full agreement with you Sandvik blades will hold an edge for a long time, a past employer would give us the small pieces of carbide approx. 1/16"X1/4"X1 1/4" to silver braze onto our blade holders and like you said even polishing the sides they would not stay sharp for long, but working at GE and after getting in good with the maint. guys we were able to get some Sandvik tips they were like night and day for the ability to hold an edge, the last time that I checked the Sandvik tips were going for about $70.00 each that's probably why I get chills every time I look in my carbide draw in my tool box 1" and 1 1/4" sizes.

Back