What's new
What's new

Helicoil Question

swall

Aluminum
I am contemplating a Helicoil job on a BSA chainguard and the work would need to be done from the back side whereas the mounting bolts would install from the front side. Does anyone see a problem with this arrangement? As I do not have/or don't want to pay for a BSF Helicoil set, I probably will go with 1/4-20.

The helicoil has a drive tang you break off after installation. If it leaves a burr of any kind you may have trouble getting a screw to start in the hole. When I install them I deburr the top to keep this from being a problem. That would not be possible if they were installed from the back. Why can't you put them in from the same side the screw will start from?

Yes, I think I can--just checked the clearances involved with the installation tool and I think I am OK. The chainguard is a U-shaped stamping and the bottom opening was 1-1/2". And as the 1/4" punched holes are slightling oversize and the installation tool is 1/4" max everthing is OK. I will still have to tap from the backside.

Insert tool First

Most of the installation tools I have seen a shank size the same as the thread, not the inner Diameter. So the install tool has installed the insert, it can not thread through the insert, as its unthreaded 1/4 shank for the 1/4 insert. :rolleyes5: You could alway saw it to a usable/removable lenght.

Back