What's new
What's new

kent owen m1

altereddezignz

Plastic
I have an old looks to be horizontal kent owens m1 mill that is in kinda ruff shape. Curious if it would be worth fixing up or just scrapping as junk yard still.

100_0512.jpg

100_0511.jpg

100_0509.jpg

100_0507.jpg

100_0506.jpg

Any info would be greatly appriciated. Not sure if this is in the correct location either.

Those are not worth much even in great shape. I have fixed up machines in that kinda shape but it cannot be for the money it has to be because you love the machine. That one is a gonner in my opinion.

Those old KO machines were made for productions jobs. We used to have several when I was in automotive. You'd set them up for a job and leave them. PITA to set up. Hydraulic feed and hard to adjust.

That machine looks like a "rise & fall". When it would get to the end of the cut, the head would raise and the table return to the other end. When you'd start the cycle, the head would "fall" to make the cut.

It does have a Kurt vise!
JR

And why do you say "rough"?? :D

I have one, in much better shape, that I have used for production jobs
before. like to cut a simple flat on a shaft, or to run a gang of cutters
thru a block to generate ears on the end of a part all in one step.
Not that hard at all to setup, but not something you'd want to set up a lot.
It will rapid up to a part, feed to a stop, and then retract in rapid. No rise/fall. Will do that sequence from either right or left table direction. Although, something looks different about that one and the lever on the front of the table. May have been
modified...
Fairly smooth, and rigid machines. Very heavy for the size.
Probably not worth putting a lot of time into it.....unless it's just the satisfaction of tinkering.
If it was free, it's prolly worth $150 in scrap!

I would be interested in what spindle speed change gears it has in it (number of teeth), if you scrap it.

dk

Back