What's new
What's new

Two liters of brass chips needed....

Spencer in NH

Stainless
I am doing some heat treating experiments, and am using brass chips as a thermal "bed" to evenly temper small parts. See photo. If anyone is doing work in 360 Brass and can spare about two liters of chips, I would be happy to reimburse the cost of a flat rate box and scrap value. And, yes, I do have the recipe for turning stock into chips. :-)

I'll be happy to post the results of the experiment.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks, folks!
IMG_1445.jpg

Not to detour you from your experiment, but why the bed? Tempering is a slow process at somewhat low temperatures that allow the metal to come to equilibrium temperature. Unlike hardening, where leaving the parts at elevated temps could lead to grain growth, tempering is done with a minimum time, not max.

Tom

Not to detour you from your experiment, but why the bed? Tempering is a slow process at somewhat low temperatures that allow the metal to come to equilibrium temperature. Unlike hardening, where leaving the parts at elevated temps could lead to grain growth, tempering is done with a minimum time, not max.

Tom

The bed is to keep the temperature even and independent of radiant heating. Think of it a Sous Vide cooking for tempering.

Funny, just saw a post on Home Shop Machinist's forum where the poster was wondering what to do with 3 lbs of bronze chips. It was Joe Lee, titled "I Can't Believe Cored Bronze Round Moved".

Would brass or bronze wool work? Maybe need to chop it up a bit, but you can buy it locally or online if you don't find a source for chips.

Brass chips seem to be a standard for watchmakers.

It's not always about real heat treating for material properties, it may be about getting a really good blue finish, which is easier with the chips to moderate the heating. I've seen some incredible blue finishes from heating over chips.

every time(several) I was asked for brass swarf it was to earth a fairground ride, of course the more the better. Naturally they would come back later with tickets for free rides. when I suggested they give me the tickets first they departed only to return next year with the same request. Do you want to guess how much I gave them?

It would only depress me. I am guessing way more than two liters.

At the shop I work at we use alot of brass. Dont think the boss would like me selling his scraps that he gets money for online...Yes I know I am not helpful, but best of look finding some!

Find a local shop with a wire EDM machine that has a wire chopper. .010 wire chopped into .050 long pieces looks like just what you need. I have plenty of it, but no need to ship it all the way to you. Find a local shop, they will have plenty.

Find a local shop with a wire EDM machine that has a wire chopper. .010 wire chopped into .050 long pieces looks like just what you need. I have plenty of it, but no need to ship it all the way to you. Find a local shop, they will have plenty.

You learn something new every day! Thanks. Why do wire choppers exist??

You learn something new every day! Thanks. Why do wire choppers exist??

the wire is live as it is carrying the eroding current, on those edms without the wire chopper the wire has to be caught in an insulated tub or box .

Both systems seem to have their own problems: choppers seem to eat the blades as fast as we can fit them , and the wire boxes always seem to overflow at the most inappropriate time (it would help if the operators stayed awake!)

Bill

We have had both types of EDMs (Ones with choppers and ones with collection boxes) and prefer choppers. Much easier to empty a tub of chopped wire than wrestle with loose coiled tangled mess. There is some maintenance with the choppers, but I think its well worth it. We run 2 wire EDMs and fill a 55 gallon drum about twice a year. With loose coiled wire we had to dispose of wire every month. Yes, we sold it, but it was a lot more handling with the coiled wire.

Back