What's new
What's new

U-drive fasteners

delloro

Cast Iron
can anybody please direct me to an online source for fastener selectiuon help?

some folks are using u-drive fasteners instead of rivets when assembling AK-type firearms (all totally legal). some doubt the wisdom of that particular fastener for this task. I have looked for information setting forth the proper or recommended use of u-drive fasteners, e.g., suitability in shear stress situations, but have not found anything.

thanks in advance!!

Uhh, a u-drive screw is really a nail. The most typical use would be for mounting name plates and the like on machinery - things that aren't likely to be removed. I can't think of an application on a firearm where they'd be appropriate, but then my imagination might be lacking. Where are they using them?

Here's a link to the McMaster-Carr page that says that they're for "sheet metal, plastic and plywood":

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3180

I doubt you'll find the information you're looking for. As pointed out, they're meant for a quick means to attach data plates, legends, etc. therefore they don't provide mechanical properties as they don't really apply. Using them to assemble the AK receiver to the trunnion is insane unless you're making a non-firing wall hanger. Otherwise, use solid rivets as originally called for. I just finished putting together a 30.06 1919a4 and the rivets were not a big deal. Even the 2 big 11/32" tunnion rivets were fairly easy to do.

Marc -

thanks for your replies, I built my AK with gen-u-wine bulgarian rivets, I have no particular desire to use u-drives or a screw build, but there is a faction of AK builders who use and swear by them.

"...they don't provide mechanical properties as they don't really apply." Hmm. that does make sense.

thanks all!

Back