What's new
What's new

Ultra sonic cleaner fluids

scraper

Aluminum
in the back of the shop I found an old set of 0-3" mics. they are not rusty they seem to be in pretty good shape but they are really stiff, gunked up and dirty. usually I like to use lighter fluid to clean such things but these things are so filthy and hard to turn I think I need to clean them up some before I can take them apart to clean like I normally would. I have had one soaking for most of the day and it don't seem to be getting much better. I was wondering if it would be safe to fill an ultrasonic cleaner, like is used for bullet casings, with lighter fluid and put them in that.

Nothing flammable in an ultra-sonic cleaner.

I use Simple Green @ 10% and hot water. Works great on most stuff. For the mikes, take apart BEFORE cleaning and then oil afterwards.
JR

Nothing flammable in an ultra-sonic cleaner.

I use Simple Green @ 10% and hot water. Works great on most stuff. For the mikes, take apart BEFORE cleaning and then oil afterwards.
JR

You clean ferrous metals like that and it doesn't cause rust?

I use any solvent I want in an ultrasonic cleaner. Acetone is generally unsuitable because it evaporates so fast. Stodard solvent, mineral spirits, diesel fuel, kerosene all work well enough.

I use any solvent I want in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I've never seen one that doesn't tell you NOT to use flammable solvents in the directions. Just a safety precaution.

I clean everything with SG and water. No rust problems what so ever. I run the heat and the parts usually dry in a few seconds.
JR

thanks for the reply's. I was a little leery about taking them apart before cleaning them because they are so stiff and feel a little gritty I thought about trying to get as much of that stuff out as possible. I think I will try simple green and water. I thought it might cause rust problems but if it wont, it would be a damn site cheaper than filling that thing with ronsonol, lol. I will just make sure I get a little tool oil on them pretty quickly. thanks again.

You can use water (or whatever is already in there) in the ultrasonic with a smaller plastic cup of your cleaner of choice and the part you are cleaning. Just rig up something to let the parts cup float in the larger container. Saves a lot of fumbling around changing liquids all the time and of course, it saves on cleaner when you use just enough to cover the part you are cleaning.

I used acetone in a closed glass Mason jar that was put in the water bath of an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the solidified grease from 50 year old carraige bearings of my DeWalt MBF radial arm saw. Glass conducts sound very well.

Don Clement

I've had really good results with the caustic Purple Power/Greased Lightning stuff you can find just about everywhere. The older I get the less I like using anything solvent based. It really does the trick for removing old paint too.

----Dave

I'd be a bit leery of using a flammable liquid in an ultrasonic cleaner.
I just cleaned some tooling that had been sitting, crusted with Hangferter's (sp?) for 10 years. Hot (125°) water and a 1/4 cup of car wash concentrate did the trick.

Rex

Years ago ultrasonic cleaners used halogenated non-flammable solvents. I wonder just how dangerous that really was. BTW Still keep carbontet and triclhor around for those difficult SS tapping jobs however I use a respirator.

Don Clement

Years ago ultrasonic cleaners used halogenated non-flammable solvents. I wonder just how dangerous that really was. BTW Still keep carbontet and triclhor around for those difficult SS tapping jobs however I use a respirator.

Don Clement

*checks location*

Don's in California.

Sorry, it's been nice knowing you, Don.

Nevermind the black helicopters outside. Everything is fine.

*checks location*

Don's in California.

Sorry, it's been nice knowing you, Don.

Nevermind the black helicopters outside. Everything is fine.

I am really glad not to be in Florida where "everything" has been deemed illegal by the BIG government there. BTW there are always black helicopters flying overhead in the mountains here even more so when its weed growing season. ;-)

About 6 weeks ago a lady who lives just down the street from us managed to burn part
of her house down. She's some kind of airbrush artist and has always used acetone in
a small ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning her air brush parts.
This time managed to set her attached garage on fire.
David

Heck that's nothing.

Lady down county had a remote start pendant for her car. Accidentally started the car one night
when it was downstairs in the garage. CO poisoning killed six people.

What's more dangerous - WD-40 inside a beaker inside an ultrasonic water bath, or a remote
start car?

Statistics don't like, eh?

. BTW there are always black helicopters flying overhead in the mountains here even more so when its weed growing season. ;-)

such a great use your hard earned tax dollars :crazy: , i'd be bitter about it

anyway, back to the thread, I bought a jug of ultrasonic cleaner intended for dentists and its worked well, its a concentrate but still my Scotch blood boils at the cost. What is this stuff - any equivalent home brews? The party line is that the stuff acts as solvent and is perfect medium for the cavitation of the bubbles that make the whole thing work....could be BS, I don't know, but it does work.

To minimize the quantity, i've rigged various ways to suspend plastic trays, baggies and glass jaws in the tank. Water in the tank will perfectly transmit the waves as will the glass or plastic....it really reduces the amount of fluid required and makes for an easier clean up. It also acomplishes the goal of having nothing touch the SS tank itself

I'd also not be too worried about using solvents, but would use some care....you'd want an understanding of flash points before using the heater :eek:

We have large (for us keyboard size) and small for dentures and both work well.

We often use vinegar in the small one as the acid works wonders.

In the large one always just plain water.

If something else needed then we sub tank it or place it in something that can contain the item and solvent and place that inside the tank.

They do generate heat so having something with low flashpoint can be a problem but having it bagged inside water reduces that greatly

Back