What's new
What's new

5C collet nose attachment... is it all here ? (pix)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Below Royal 5C collet nose mounts into no. 5MT of spindle nose. I presume is longer projection than necessary due to the integral chuck guard system. (this is on a small manual/CNC lathe) But shouldn't there at least be some sort of flange or cover to keep coolant out of the D1 spindle nose holes ?

harrison30.jpg

Seem like a way better method would have been a tapered spindle nose that mounted into the D1-4 spindle..like on a Monarch 10ee. Heck, for that matter maybe the Monarch nose would fit ? (except Monarch is D1-3 isn't it ?)

=================

(on edit) I just called Royal and as it turns out sometime about 2002 or so they stopped making the MT type nose and changed over to camlock noses, so I can get a camlock nose from them. The downside is it's not as beefy as the Monarch nose and it cost $711 :angry:)

5CLeverCC.jpg

Here's a few pictures of other options:
The first is a spindle nose protector that South Bend Lathe made. I don't have and extra, but you could use a small chuck back.
Next is an extension that South Bend had made for one of their imports that needed a little extra room in front of the headstock. It is ~3 1/2" from the face to the end. You would need to modify the draw bar for the right length.
It is for sale: $200 plus shipping
Ted
[email protected]

Attachments

• spindleNoseProtector.jpg
    spindleNoseProtector.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 774
  • D1-4adapor2.jpg
    D1-4adapor2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 766
  • D1-4colletAdaptor1.jpg
    D1-4colletAdaptor1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 553
I bought two new collet closers from Royal. The first (L0) had a collar made from aluminum to protect the spindle taper. The second (D1-6) did not come with any protection for the spindle nose holes. Often thought I should make something - in my spare time......

The answer to your first question is NO. What you see in the pic IS complete. It would be nice to have a flange to cover the camplock openings, but not needed.

My Nardini has the MT5 taper and D1-5 camlock. The 5c collet nose piece is just the shortened version of what you have in the pic.

You obviously can buy the camlock 5c nose pieces, but not with a drawbar that I am familiar with.

Grant

I have the same basic set-up on six machines in my shop, this is complete. I have on occassion put styrofoam in the D1 camlock holes, but when general machining, I just blow them out when the job is done. never thought anything of it until seeing the "options" part of this thread, make me think now.

Great thread for me anyway, thanks.

Back