What's new
What's new

D1-6 Chuck Adapter

atomarc

Diamond
I did a search but couldn't pin this down. I'm a green pea when it comes to a cam lock spindle so this might be a stupid question.

My new lathe has a D1-6 spindle. Most chucks that fit it also (duh) have this configuration. I 'think' I have seen faceplates that only have three for four studs, but spaced in the D1-6 dimensions. I take this to mean they have fewer studs because the bulk of a heavy chuck isn't there, and the intended work won't be as severe, but that they will fit the D1-6 spindle nose. Am I reading this correctly.

Less than 6 studs, but arranged so they will fit the D1-6 nose!:confused:

Stuart

It's common for D1-6 to have only 4 studs. I've seen several this way and they work just fine. Three studs, I have not seen on a D1-6, not to say they don't exists.

Ken S.

A D1 6 lathe spindle with 3 pins

There was also at least one lathe that I know of that had a D 1 6 spindle with only 3 cam lock pin holes. That is a Monarch Model K, I guess Monarch did that to save a few $$ and found on a low horsepower machine having 6 pins wasn't really necessary.

All my D1-6 chucks have 6 pins as does one 14" faceplate, the 17" faceplate has 4 pins, the 2-J collet chuck has 3 pins, and I've got dog driver with 2 pins.
Harry

... I 'think' I have seen faceplates that only have three for four studs, but spaced in the D1-6 dimensions. I take this to mean they have fewer studs because the bulk of a heavy chuck isn't there, and the intended work won't be as severe, but that they will fit the D1-6 spindle nose. Am I reading this correctly.

Less than 6 studs, but arranged so they will fit the D1-6 nose!:confused:

Stuart

I also have a heavy duty 13.75" Faceplate with all 6 pins. Some of my adapter plates have 6 pins but some have less. Generally the lighter ones have less pins.

Raymond

L2 to D1-6 adapter

I'm looking for a D1-6 spindle nose that I can use to make an adapter, so that I can use D1-6 camlock chucks on my lathe which has an L2 spindle nose. Does anyone have any ideas?

chuck

If the l-2 is going to be strong enough to hold its own coupling and the D1-6,why not just use the L-2?
If your heart's set on a D1-6 I'd contact the lathe maker and see about a replacement spindle.Safer that way.
jim

I saw one last week that had only 2 studs.There was nothing attached to the backplate,though,to show what it was intended to hold. I would have thought that a minimum would be 3 studs,though.

adapter, so that I can use D1-6 camlock chucks on my lathe which has an L2 spindle nose

That would be a huge chunk of steel (? )or other metal .

As you may know, just the thread inside the draw back nut is 7 1/4-5 Unified Form - Special.

John Oder

l2 to d1-6 adapter

That would be a huge chunk of steel (? )or other metal .

As you may know, just the thread inside the draw back nut is 7 1/4-5 Unified Form - Special.

John Oder

Thanks for the feedback John (and others). I am aware of the sizes involved, I have built several L2 adapters for larger chucks that I have, but I have other smaller chucks chucks that I would like to use without modifying them. I believe that I may be able to cut off the attachment end of a d1-6 spindle nose and join it to a male threaded slug that I have machined that fits the L2 draw back nut and tapered spindle nose. This will extend the chuck attachment a few inches beyond where it terminates now, but hopefully, still be acceptable if done accurately.

I was wondering if anyone has done this, and or if anyone knew where I might pickup a used d1-6 spindle or spindle nose.

LO to D1-6

The trick would be the retaining jaws of the d1 type spindle ,you could go to an A1-6 ,same size mount ,just bolts on and about 2 inches closer.
jim

L2 to D1-6 adapter

Thanks Jim, I'll have to take a hard look at that suggestion. One problem I see, is that it would not solve my problem of being able to mount my chucks that already have a d1-6 back plate.

Dave

We have a Victor 1640 with a D1-6 spindle nose, and have 3 chucks and a faceplate for it.

The two 10" 3-jaw chucks (1 junk OE, 1 perfect P&B Super Precision) and the 12" Atlas 4-jaw all have the full six-pin configuration. The faceplate is also an Atlas, but I believe it has just 3 pins. I'm going over to dad's lathe tonight, curiosity has got me now so I'll confirm the configuration.

The main reason I'm not sure is that the faceplate has never been mounted to the spindle. ;)

d1-6

Dave back plate or mounts ,you could use the a1-6 and drill mounting holes in the chucks if there is enough stock.Mine have bolt patterns for each 3&4 jaw.
jim

Just checked the faceplate Dad & I have. It's a 14" with direct D1-6 attachment, and sure enough it has all six pins. Cool.

What's not cool is that it's marked "840 R.P.M. Max". That's strange, because it sure looks quite sturdy.

Now to find a MT4-to-spindle nose tapered sleeve.

Back