What's new
What's new

Undercutting With a Tee slot cutter

Toms Wheels

Titanium
I need to undercut a 1.8" blind hole about .250
X.500. I've done it before with a hand ground single point cutter that is .300 x.200 going about .250 into AL. Done on a lathe works but cuts slow.

I have a 1.125 x .125 keyway cutter HSS. I am thinking of reducing the shank to 1/4" and mounting it into my 1/2hp toolpost grinder. The motor can be slowed with a DC drive that I have, and slowest pulleys mounted.

Anyone see an issue with this idea, there are a dozen undercuts to be done.

This needs to be done on the lathe.

Biggest issue I see is getting a GRINDER to run slow enough for running a 1" plus HSS tool..

since you are being cheap, use the key cutter as a dead tool.. Just because its round doesn't mean
it has to spin, use one tooth at a time like its a boring bar, when the one tooth gets dull rotate it
over to the next tooth.

I need to undercut a 1.8" blind hole about .250
X.500. I've done it before with a hand ground single point cutter that is .300 x.200 going about .250 into AL. Done on a lathe works but cuts slow.

I have a 1.125 x .125 keyway cutter HSS. I am thinking of reducing the shank to 1/4" and mounting it into my 1/2hp toolpost grinder. The motor can be slowed with a DC drive that I have, and slowest pulleys mounted.

Anyone see an issue with this idea, there are a dozen undercuts to be done.

This needs to be done on the lathe.

Maybe I'm not getting the picture but you're cutting a groove, it sounds like. Why not a boring bar then? You're not going to get good chip clearance out of a woodruff cutter, plus it doesn't really facilitate getting the tool into the hole to begin with. Sketch it up, perhaps?

I've done that when thread milling mold inserts years ago. Extremely slow.

I'd make a boring bar with a piece of parting tool silver soldered to a 1" bar.
JR

Even if you can run your tool post grinder the correct speed, it won't have bearings anywhere heavy enough for the job.

Nor I doubt will you be able to run the lathe slow enough, .........unless I'm 180 out in picturing the part, that's a turning job, and JRIowa's method is both proven and easy peasy.

If it is a boring bar job, Iscar does make boring bars with deep grooving inserts. Pricey (especially if they make you buy a whole box of inserts) but might be of interest. These will plunge as well as taking light lateral cuts, and give a superb finish in most applications I've used them on.

Yeah, I'll scratch that idea, go with what I used before, a hand ground single point boring tool.

I have a heavy metal Top Notch BB, but the standard cutters do not project near enough to .250 depth.

Thanks All

I've used stationary router cutters in a lathe many times, much simpler than modifying a milling cutter (and cheaper, for HSS cutters). Make a bar for a HSS rabbeting cutter, grind away unnecessary material if required.

My needs have mostly been decorative contouring in aluminum. It was ten minutes work to make a tool holder that secured a router cutter in a 4-way toolpost. Didn't need to modify any of the cutters.

Back