What's new
What's new

Inserted carbide tool help

Mike Hedger

Aluminum
I have a 14" vari speed Rockwell with a CX Aloris tool post and my questions are on inserted tools. I have a two 3/4" SNMG 4XX tool holders and a couple 3/4" TNMG 3XX tool holders. What inserts should I be running on either mild steel and or aluminum? I know there is not a one fits all but what are some of the ones I should aquire first? I have been using cemented carbide 5/8" 370 series tools with good success but you know how it goes you have to try the new stuff.

Thank you, Mike

I surprised nobody answered you here. Take a look at McMaster's section on carbide inserts. They give a basic description of the sizes, shapes and applications.

Where's Kemah?
For what you are doing, anything that will fit in the tool will be fine. If you are not running production, don't spend alot of time worrying about insert grades.
have fun
i_r_machinist

Where is Kemah!!! Well I can answer that

Where's Kemah?
For what you are doing, anything that will fit in the tool will be fine. If you are not running production, don't spend alot of time worrying about insert grades.
have fun
i_r_machinist

It's a little town just south of Houston on Galvelston Bay. It was hit hard by Hurricane Ike. Much destruction of homes and boats. I live a couple miles north of Kemah and the west side of the eye went right over us.

I am a newby with my lowly 12x36 Craftsman/Atlas and have been considering trying insert tools even though I have been getting by fine with HSS and welded carbide. Good to know that I don't need to worry too much about which insert to use since I am just a piddler when it comes to the lathe.

I am a newby with my lowly 12x36 Craftsman/Atlas and have been considering trying insert tools even though I have been getting by fine with HSS and welded carbide. Good to know that I don't need to worry too much about which insert to use since I am just a piddler when it comes to the lathe.

The original poster was talking about insert use on a Rockwell lathe, inserts on an Atlas would be more limited due to the lathe's lighter weight. On the Atlas I'd suggest using mostly positive rake inserts, they will take the speed but will cut with the lighter pressures and feeds available on the Atlas. On my Atlas 12x36 I use TPMG inserts for the most part.

Back