What's new
What's new

looking for a millrite mill

troublecreek

Plastic
I'm most likely in wrong place to ask, however I've been looking for a powermatic burke millrite with an 8x36 table power down feed and in good condition power feed on the x axis and dro would be plus. anybody have any thoughts on this. just to get this part out of the way the spac I plan install the mill is only 7 feet deep, so i don't really have the room for a bridgeport...

that doesn't have the powerfeeds the OP is looking for, but it looks like a nice clean machine. I'd certainly rather have that machine than my millrite with its BS9 spindle. Price is unrealistic to say the least.

There was one at auction a few weeks back... For $300 I should have been flogged for letting the scrapper carry it off instead of me! Didn't have a DRO and one of the leadscrews was missing though...

Not that me crying about it helps you any, but I felt the need to share. :P

~Josh

Just bought a green millrite three phase 220. How can I determine if it requires an R8 or B&S # 9 collet.

there is a big difference in the tapers. The R8 has a short fast taper that is only about an inch deep from the lower end of the spindle..
The B&S is long and gradual, something like an MT taper.
Google photos of collets in both tapers and you will see the big difference.
You should be able to tell by feeling with your finger

I have no standing to give advice as I am a rank newby. However, I'm beginning to get the impression that each taper's draw bar is a unique diameter and thread pitch. Of course that assumes that you have a drawbar to look at.

V

there is a big difference in the tapers. The R8 has a short fast taper that is only about an inch deep from the lower end of the spindle..
The B&S is long and gradual, something like an MT taper.
Google photos of collets in both tapers and you will see the big difference.
You should be able to tell by feeling with your finger

Ran my finger along the inside of the quill and found a one inch short fast taper determined by a definite ring like ridge just inside the quill opening and about one inch from the mouth. It was nothing like a smooth morse taper. This must be my lucky evening. Thanks again.

The one you want is 30 NTMB. R8 simply doesn't have the holding power. I know they were made by Millrite because someone I knew had one. I have an R8 machine, two 30s and a 40. 30s are sort of orphans, but they run rings around R8s. you probably will have more luck in the hobby forums. Millrites are rock bottom for making a living. They are good solid machines, but really minimal for commercial use.

Bill

Back