What's new
What's new

Usefulness of indexable end mill

Orrin

Hot Rolled
I'm wondering about the usefulness of an indexable end mill. Someone gave me one that takes TPG32_ inserts. Can it be used for all-purpose milling, such as truing or cleaning up surfaces, etc.? I'd appreciate comments and suggestions because I've never used one, before.

It would seem to be a way of saving the wear and tear of my conventional milling cutters.

On a whim, I also picked up an indexible end mill that takes negative rate inserts. I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Will a mill/drill be rigid enough to allow me to use it?

Thank you.

Orrin

I'm wondering about the usefulness of an indexable end mill. Someone gave me one that takes TPG32_ inserts. Can it be used for all-purpose milling, such as truing or cleaning up surfaces, etc.? I'd appreciate comments and suggestions because I've never used one, before.

It would seem to be a way of saving the wear and tear of my conventional milling cutters.

On a whim, I also picked up an indexible end mill that takes negative rate inserts. I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Will a mill/drill be rigid enough to allow me to use it?

Thank you.

Orrin

Thank you.

Orrin

I would think your mill/drill would be happier with a positive rake cutter.
Neg. rake requires more rigidity and more hp., but will last longer if you have the machine and setup.

As far as usefulness, with a mill drill... I have my doubts.
a bridgeport is smallish for most indexable tooling. 30 taper and up is better.
You can, and I do, use indexable tooling on smaller machines, but if you cant take a decent chip (.003 or so per flute), you wear the inserts out by rubbing rather than cutting.
And, of course, if the machine and setup aren't rigid enough, the inserts will simply break.

Neg. rake requires more rigidity and more hp., but will last longer if you have the machine and setup.

You can, and I do, use indexable tooling on smaller machines, but if you cant take a decent chip (.003 or so per flute), you wear the inserts out by rubbing rather than cutting.
And, of course, if the machine and setup aren't rigid enough, the inserts will simply break.

i have a 5 insert 43_ R-8 shank 3" face mill that i have used for over 30 yrs. it sounds like a thrashing machine when cutting CRES or tool steel but in aluminum or brass i love it.
now cutter design is much better that in the 1970's and i use a cupped insert thats octogon in shape and it cuts rather well in the limited time ive used it. this is on a Sharp POS mill but the cutter works well.
try your new cutter but take light cuts to start with and work your way up.
when stuff statrs falling off the machine back off, youve reached the limit...jim

i have a 5 insert 43_ R-8 shank 3" face mill that i have used for over 30 yrs. it sounds like a thrashing machine when cutting CRES or tool steel but in aluminum or brass i love it.
now cutter design is much better that in the 1970's and i use a cupped insert thats octogon in shape and it cuts rather well in the limited time ive used it. this is on a Sharp POS mill but the cutter works well.
when stuff statrs falling off the machine back off, youve reached the limit...jim

I use one at work occasionally,usually for harder materials or a scaled up surface. Its good for light cuts only. Any decent depth of cut and it realy pounds, and that is with an integral r8 shank. Sometimes the insert will move too. Although $2 an insert sounds cheap, a freer cutting insert (ex: APKT ) would get alot more work done.

I use one at work occasionally,usually for harder materials or a scaled up surface. Its good for light cuts only. Any decent depth of cut and it realy pounds, and that is with an integral r8 shank. Sometimes the insert will move too. Although $2 an insert sounds cheap, a freer cutting insert (ex: APKT ) would get alot more work done.

They look like they would be the ticket,but,on a bridgeport type mill any depth to the cut and they just beat the hell out of things. Use them like a flycutter and theyre fine.

They look like they would be the ticket,but,on a bridgeport type mill any depth to the cut and they just beat the hell out of things. Use them like a flycutter and theyre fine.

TPG32_ inserts"

try a hi-pos insert instead, you'll be fine.

a sekn , tega , octo-mill, apkt ....type are fine
for bpt-type machines...in diameters similar to
what you'd turn an endmill ...say-.75"-1.25"

just don't try some foolish cuts with anything
over 2" , and it should work...

on a weak machine, w/ carbide, you get up into the
hp at higher rpms .

i've hogged at.25D and 2"dia w/ a lagun ftv2 r8
machine w/ no sweat...4-insert snmg neg shell mill. hardly made a sound !the chips whisked away!

TPG32_ inserts"

hp at higher rpms .

machine w/ no sweat...4-insert snmg neg shell mill. hardly made a sound !the chips whisked away!

TPG32_ inserts"

hp at higher rpms .

Back