What's new
What's new

uses for a molten salt furnace (from a lens manufacturer) 1474F

ironhoarder

Cast Iron
So, I picked up a solution looking for a problem. This is a small molten salt furnace that was used somehow in glass lens manufacturing. Manufacturer is Kirk Manufacturing, Freeport NY. Model MINI-20M.

The melting point of sodium chloride is 1474 degrees F. So- how would this be useful for a machinist? Is that a useful temperature? The chamber is about 3" x 3" and I don't know how deep- probably not very. It is full of hardened salt- and I've not fired it up yet.

Presumably if it's a fixed temperature unit you might try adding a programmable controller so you can use it for heat treating steels. Not sure how you'd figure out the max safe temp though...

There is a very good chance you do not have sodium chloride in your furnace unless you have evidence to support that what the substance is.

Some glass is solution heat treated with molton salts to strengthen and impart other properties.

As to what to do with it. Step one is to assess if you have acquired a mini superfund sight.

Does the furnace have an adjustable temp controller? You can use these for heat treating, nitriding, annealing and similar processes.

We have vendors that us salt furnaces to clamp Nitinol in form tools and then anneal it to get it to hold shape. I don't remember what salt they use. I prefer using a fluidized heated sand bath, does not burn the hell of you with small splashes while maintaining rapid heat transfer.

Back