What's new
What's new

VHB tape zip tie bases (ie zip tie bases that won't fall off)

kb0thn

Stainless
Hi PM,

Like everyone, we use zip tie bases in the electrical panels we build. Like everyone, the stupid zip tie bases fall off within a year. I've tried American made bases (from Bay State Cable Ties) and big brand name bases (Panduit, etc), and none seem to hold up. The common denominator seems to be that they all have foam double sided tape.

I think a zip tie base with VHB tape would be the ticket. Does anybody make this?

Thanks,

-Jim

The foam bonding tape from 3M does seem to work. It holds trim on cars for years in cold and sun. I don't think many if any use it for the bases, though, they do fall off. All of them that I have tried do, anyhow. Usually they seem to detach from the plastic, the tape sticks to the base, or cabinet etc.

For inside baseplates in cabinets, the "canoe clip" based wire clips are pretty good, since the holes in the plates don't show. I don't know if there are zip tie bases like that, but the locking clips do about the same thing, and you don't need to cut ties to replace a wire unless you have tied the bundle.

I gave up on those years ago. They always fell off if there was the slightest stress on them - even in lab environments. I really like the Richco BHKL -Curly Locks. They are available in multiple sizes and heights. While they do take a single hole (but no fastener), they hold up really well. I have not seen one fail. They are also easy to open up and re-close for equipment repair.

Cable Management and Wire Management Products, Cable Clamps - BHKL -Curly Lock,Standoff,Blin

Attachments

• curlytop.jpg
    curlytop.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 121

Back