What's new
What's new

Using a bed mill with the head tilted to 90 degrees?

bgmnn1

Aluminum
Has or does anyone use their bed mill with the head tilted to 90 degrees? Think Fryer type toolroom/bed mill. I am thinking of doing so, wondering if anyone would share their experiences.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

I did do a hole pattern in the end of some very long part with an angle head set at 90 degrees. What a PITA it was basically hand coding that. I find it tough to use CAM because none of the clearance moves are in Z. I maybe could have fooled around with the post I was using and made something work, but it was probably more work to test that, than to just single step my program in air cut mode first.

Has or does anyone use their bed mill with the head tilted to 90 degrees? Think Fryer type toolroom/bed mill. I am thinking of doing so, wondering if anyone would share their experiences.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

on some machines like a Prototrak Bridgeport turret knee mill cause head tilted i had to raise knee farther and i did not see sliding way cover slide too far out and when i lowered it got bent. taking mill apart to replace was a big job. my point is just watch out for stuff like that
i use a gantry bridge mill is vertical and horizontal head. horizontal head works ok sure cnc gcode is more complicated and well as comp for size of horizontal head sticking out and lower
obvious G17 G18 G19 important for drilling and for milling tool comp direction and circular milling which way is CW and CCW and using G43 and G44 and G41 and G42. sure gcode is more complicated

Back