What's new
What's new

Using a VMC for more than metal removal

Jay Fleming

Hot Rolled
I'm curious if anyone has used their VMC or other CNC Mill as a pick and place for dowel pins, subassemblies, etc. There would be sufficient thrust in the Z and the spindle orientation could be used to pick up bolts for fastening assemblies.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm curious if anyone has used their VMC or other CNC Mill as a pick and place for dowel pins, subassemblies, etc. There would be sufficient thrust in the Z and the spindle orientation could be used to pick up bolts for fastening assemblies.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
a bigger cnc can push too much often over 10 tons and machine can get damaged or out of alignment
with big heavy facemills rather than hold up to spindle i often will put a thick soft piece of wood between vise and facemill so as i lower spindle over facemill to get close enough to lock it, if aligned wrong the wood will compress absorbing the tons.
just saying i would use some sort of soft break away or compressible something rather than directly touch metal on metal as without any feel you cannot tell if putting 20 lbs or 20 tons on something

Back