What's new
What's new

VFD Settings

legin

Plastic
I am having major trouble setting up a KOC100 VFD on my Bridgeport mill, it works in low speed forward and reverse but when i go to high speed it trips out on error 2 i have not got an electrical engineers degree to understand the manual but i have tried, if anyone can shed some light on the setup it would be of great help. Im on the verge of buying a 240 volt motor for the mill

Did you set it up in high speed and perform an auto tune? For a 2 speed motor leave it in high speed and use the drive to adjust the frequency / motor speed. Also set the amps for the high speed rating plus the service factor, meaning if it says it draws 10 amps and the service factor is 1.15 you set it to 11.5 amps unless that particular drive has a place to enter the service factor.

JR

Also set the length of the acceleration ramp to a reasonable time length that will stop nuisance tripping on overload. A regular motor probably draws maybe 200% normal amp draw when starting on the line, but the acceleration is unregulated. Not so with a VFD, it is measuring and monitoring everything for 'faults' out of range of the parameters you set. You gotta read that manual :D

The manual for this particular machine is rather daunting. It is very complete---in 175 pages it methodically catalogues every parameter available on this VFD. But it seems to lack a "quick setup guide" and suggested initial settings on the few essential parameters you are likely to need to set that some VFD manuals include for good reason. So, you may find some help in looking at Automation Direct's (for example) user manual chapter 3 QuickStart instructions. It has a quick setup guide likely to get you setup in a functional way. It lists the various parameters along with suggested initial setting for various applications. It won't take long to figure out which AD parameters correlate with your VFD's parameters. From there you can tweak your VFD to suit.

I have no connection to AD other than owning several of their drives and being a satisfied customer.

Denis

I can sympathize with you, legin! I've got a couple of Hitachis that took me about a week to sort out and understand--and I'm an engineer. The Hitachi manual is very complete, but it's not laid out in a logical (to me) order. It doesn't just give you steps 1-10, or whatever. It jumps around all over the place telling you what a parameter does here, how to set it there, etc. I've got notes and dog-eared pages all through the manual.

As mentioned, study the manual and take notes. You can probably skip over things like critical speeds, braking functions, etc. It may help you to make up a table with all the settings you'll need to program in. You'll also need a diagram of how the programming menus are set up.

Good luck!

Yes I have a couple Hitachi VFDs also, the manuals are quite verbose, to say the least! The nice thing is, once they're set you don't usually have to mess with the settings anymore. Until then, get ready for a lot of reading.

Error 2 is overcurrent on accel.

http://www.hclub.ee/download/varia/KOC100 Series User Manual--20150119(V1.1).pdf

You can make the accel fairly slow, which will tend to reduce the current requirement. Sometimes a little FASTER will be better, if it is slow enough to time out the allowable overload duration.

High speed setting is indeed typically the worst,

What mode are you using?

have you checked the troubleshooting section checked the possible reasons and/or tried any of the suggestions? (page 156)

Which exact model inverter is it?

Which motor does the B-port have? Is it a step pulley or variable speed version?

Back