What's new
What's new

Vibratory media.......Price check please

Searching for reasonable prices on Ceramic Vibratory Media
I'm looking for medium size Tri-stars.
Pricing seems to be all over the place these days.

Who's your favorite source to buy your Vibe-tumbling media from?

I don't buy that specific media, but I purchase from Vibra Finish.

I don't buy that specific media, but I purchase from Vibra Finish.

So you don't mention prices or which media you are buying.
Are you getting a good price on the media you purchase?
Have you compared their prices with other suppliers?
Just saying you get your media from them does not really mean anything, prices are all over with this stuff, some places are reasonable, others charge a premium for the same thing. I'm trying to find an economical source. .

Just saying you get your media from them does not really mean anything, prices are all over with this stuff, some places are reasonable, others charge a premium for the same thing. I'm trying to find an economical source. .

Vibra finish makes the stuff, I've been dealing with them for decades and they're a square deal.

Last time I bought was in 2005. $72.85 for a 50lb box of 5/8x5/16 ceramic modified triangles.

Don't know if that was a good price or not. Don't really care either, since it lasts for years and I got it with a phone call to my local supplier.

I don't use the type you are looking for, but I buy my media from Massfin.com and I have been very happy. I also bought some from Zoro Tools and I have had no complaints, either.

Andrei

That seems good for 2005 prices.
Who might your mystery "local supplier" be?
First I have to correct- it was 2015, not 2005.

My local supplier is Western Tool. Love those guys- same day delivery on anything in stock, and they will stock anything I ask them to. They go above and beyond, a little while back I needed a 1/2-13 H8 form tap for a lathe job I was running over the weekend. My sales guy dropped it through the mail slot Friday night after taking his wife to dinner, when I came in Saturday morning it was there waiting for me.

Hmm, that's seems funny to me, that you take him to task for doing the same thing you did. So you know that prices are all over the map-which means you must know some prices-but you don't tell us what they are? How is anyone supposed to know what prices you are looking at, and whether or not they are good, or high, or ....?

Hmm, that's seems funny to me, that you take him to task for doing the same thing you did. So you know that prices are all over the map-which means you must know some prices-but you don't tell us what they are? How is anyone supposed to know what prices you are looking at, and whether or not they are good, or high, or ....?

It's simple.
Any of the prices I have seen seem very high. You want me to waste your time telling you where not to buy media? Or where to buy media that's the most expensive?
If somebody's shopped, and found reasonable prices, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I have been trying 2-b limestone (crushed variety) in a HF cement mixer....

Seems to work OK on aluminum pieces to remove the extruder marks.

Limestone is pretty soft, it must wear pretty fast?
Buy it in a bag from Lowes?
I need sharp pointy corners to get burrs off of .200 holes in steel. Sharp corner stars or small pointy cones I think are the
solution.

I have been trying
2-b limestone (crushed variety) in a HF cement mixer....

Seems to work OK on aluminum pieces to remove the extruder marks.

Limestone is pretty soft, it must wear pretty fast?
Buy it in a bag from Lowes?
I need sharp pointy corners to get burrs off of .200 holes in steel. Sharp corner stars or small pointy cones I think are the
solution.
Yup, I was going to get it at the local yard, but my test only
needed like 5 gallons, so Lowes landscaping center it was.

Using a light oil to keep down the dust, but a water based compound would allow
a better rinsing, and getting rid of the fines (sand).

Ok smartass....

I didn't mention prices, because the only question you asked is, "Who's your favorite source to buy your Vibe-tumbling media from?" Makes sense to be searching out the sources considering all or our different applications are usually apples to oranges....

I realize your title says Vibratory Media....Price check please. But you don't even list the industrial standard part number for the medium tristars. You don't even mention the prices or quanities you are buying which clearly affects price. I could be buying in 10 ton increments and you buy in 200 lb quantities not to mention a completely different media which supbstantially affect media density... You also don't mention how close the shipping point is. I buy from a location 200 miles from me, but if I buy from a place in say Missouri, landed price per 50Lbs goes up $7.36 or $.147/lb.

I use CN38SV's from Vibra finish and prices that have been quoted to me are 50-200 lbs ($1.74/lb) and the next price break 200 to (uncertain) is ($1.58/lb)+ freight. I didn't even bother searching beyond them for the following reasons.

1.) Vibra Finish is very prompt and thorough with my inquiries.
2.) Vibra finish does media testing for me at no charge and has been helpful for resolving other manufacturing issues for me.
3.) Its the closest point for media purchase to dodge added freight charges.
4.) I consume this media at such a rate (tumbling aluminum) that I would spending more money in labor finding another source than would save by getting a better price.

Have fun. :cheers:

It's simple.
Any of the prices I have seen seem very high. You want me to waste your time telling you where not to buy media? Or where to buy media that's the most expensive?
If somebody's shopped, and found reasonable prices, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I bet you have not even recieved quotes and that you are just posting on here getting everyone to do your work for you. If you were worried about wasting time, you would have posted prices the first time instead of taking time defending not posting prices.

Does it take must time to say you contacted say vendors Jim, Jack, and Johnny for media XYZ and for 200 lbs it is 1.34 / 1.67 / 1.76 respectively?

How do you arrive to the conclusion that the media prices are high? What's your benchmark?

Your high price might be someones low price and then this thread becomes a tool of reciprocity for all....

WHEEW...
I'm glad I didn't personally ask you your favorite color, lest you might go all whack or something.

Many posts on this forum exist to save the person asking the question time.
Maybe someone just bought media and found it for a good price after doing
some shopping. Maybe another guy works in a large shop that uses a lot of it
and they've locked in a solid source for it at reasonable price. Maybe one of those guys sees this thread and writes a sentence or two:
"Try XYZ company their prices seem good". Or, "We just bought 100lbs of XX media from XYZ and it was $$ per pound which is the best price we found".
End of story...

If you're having a stroke because it feels like someone's twisting your arm for a little bit of info......SKIP THE FRIG OVER THIS THREAD. Sorry to make you type all those words when you could have been relaxing with something less complicated and tiresome.

Yup, I was going to get it at the local yard, but my test only
needed like 5 gallons, so Lowes landscaping center it was.

Using a light oil to keep down the dust, but a water based compound would allow
a better rinsing, and getting rid of the fines (sand).

You could also use crushed granite Mohs scale 6-7. The maker of my vibratory finisher recommends a detergent and corrosion inhibitor continuously flushing the mix not oil. Oil lubricates the mix and inhibits the cutting action of the media.

Tom

WHEEW...
I'm glad I didn't personally ask you your favorite color, lest you might go all whack or something.

Many posts on this forum exist to save the person asking the question time.
Maybe someone just bought media and found it for a good price after doing
some shopping. Maybe another guy works in a large shop that uses a lot of it
and they've locked in a solid source for it at reasonable price. Maybe one of those guys sees this thread and writes a sentence or two:
"Try XYZ company their prices seem good". Or, "We just bought 100lbs of XX media from XYZ and it was $$ per pound which is the best price we found".
End of story...

If you're having a stroke because it feels like someone's twisting your arm for a little bit of info......SKIP THE FRIG OVER THIS THREAD. Sorry to make you type all those words when you could have been relaxing with something less complicated and tiresome.

Go back and read what you asked for, what I supplied and your response. I'm trying to help you and then you tell me what does and doesn't do you good. You are acting like a prick when I'm trying to help you.

I'm not having a stroke at all. I may look that way to you becuase I took the time to be detailed in my response that you criticized me for lacking in a previous reply. If you used similar detail in the first place, I wouldn't have gave you and equally qualified general response that answered the specific question you asked. I bet you wonder why your employees never follow directions.

For a person that has a post count as high as yours, I'd like to think you would have mastered composition of your native language to at least some extent including having the brain power to ask the questions you want in the first place instead coming off with a context that I'm an idiot becuase I dind't give you answers to questions you never asked.

I'll skip over the threads I feel like skipping over. God forbid I was trying to help you returning previous favors.

Next time don't tell me what does or doesn't do you any good. Ask the follow up questions and leave it at that. Just trying to help.

Again, No one locks in a price with a supplier and then gets to transfer volume discounts to some random person on the internet. Doesn't work like that. At all.. My consumption is my consumption rate and not yours. Again... you make no mention of the media part number, volumes, etc...

Let me know if any more information is needed. Please make sure I know the question this time and I'll answer it the first time.

Back