What's new
What's new

vintage grinder. Am I missing something?

lonnie77

Plastic
I have never seen a motor like this. When I removed the end nothing fell out but I do not see how this should work like it is. Can anyone help me with this?
IMG_1146.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1148.jpg

Looks like a single phase motor with the remains of a centrifugal switch to engage a start winding or start capacitor. It may need a pull rope to start it if some switch parts are missing.

Larry

Having not seen that before, however it appears to me the roller shorts the 2 copper rings.

When the motor starts, the rotor probably has enough end play to allow to
find the electrical center (to the left, more into the stator).

Looks like those rings might even be tapered, so the longitudinal movement
can be that much shorter to obtain proper air gap after starting.

Appears that the plunger device on the shaft must short it, but as0is, it would appear to short to ground/case. Must be an insulator somewhere that I am not seeing. The weight on other side presumably pulls the plunger through and breaks the start circuit.

Thanks for the help. It is a B&D 6" bench grinder Type A. I have searched several hours for an answer and found nothing. All of you seem correct with your suggestions except it does not go to ground it has an insulation board. I think once the motor starts running it pulls the plunger but does it make contact before or after it starts is the mystery. That is why I think something is missing. Before is would start but run slow, now after reassembly it only hums.

Back