What's new
What's new

Wandering holes?

MikeColorado

Plastic
Hey guys. I need some insight on how to make some holes. The project needs a block thats split along the x axis, to bolt around a shaft thats on the z axis. I am planning on clamping both together and drilling through where the seam Would be. Would the bit tend to wander along that seam?? I'm also considering using a ball end mill with each half turned 90° to make the hole. What would you guys do?
Thanks a bunch!
Mike

Hey guys. I need some insight on how to make some holes. The project needs a block thats split along the x axis, to bolt around a shaft thats on the z axis. I am planning on clamping both together and drilling through where the seam Would be. Would the bit tend to wander along that seam?? I'm also considering using a ball end mill with each half turned 90° to make the hole. What would you guys do?
Thanks a bunch!
Mike

I drill and ream thru 2 blocks clamped together all the time, never had a problem, one benefit is you will not have long pieces of swarfe generated while drilling

I don't think the design is that good from the view of clamping parallel to a parting line: the bolt and nut may not actually capture both halves.

it will be clamping along the y axis in this case, or perpendicular to the parting line. the screws joining the halves will be running through the material between the recessed area and the outside diameter of the vertical holes. i appreciate the insight fellas, sounds like ill be fine clamping them in the vise and gettin after it! thanks all!Block3a.jpg

maybe I am missing something but - if you clamp those parts together in the vise, and drill/ream down the split, you are going to get a hole exactly the size you ream. Obviously. If it is to clamp and object the size of your reamer, it won't, without either skinning a bit off both inside faces after you drill/ream, or putting a small spacer in the seam before you drill/ream...
If it is to clamp an object bigger than your reamer, there's other issues..

If in situations like that, I'm in any doubt I drill say 1/32 - 1/16 US then true the hole with a 3 fl EM ....especially if I've packing between the 2 halves to make them clamps as opposed to a slide fit.

i like to bolt the halves together. then they wont move and you can take them out and put them back in.

Back