What's new
What's new

Want to see if I can combine my machining with my medical

pocn

Plastic
Hello!

I got my first great job as a machinist when I was twenty. I always wanted to go into medicine but seemed to excel in machining and grew quickly in the field. I now currently have split about the past decade between being in EMS and machining. I tend to flip back and forth based on how much I enjoy the work and pay. I am not sure if it is even an option but I was curious if there is some way I can combine my knowledge of the two fields into one career.

I have have about 6 years of machining experience and have been an EMT for 5 years now. I am not sure of a way to combine them or if I should just proceed going into the medical field despite the low pay until I build up all that lovely school debt.

-Pocn

After high school I went to college with the intention of becoming a doctor.
Well that didn’t work out too well (beer and girls and...)

I find a lot of satisfaction in machining medical parts. Implants especially.
If I ever shut down my shop and went back to work for somebody I would only look for shops doing medical work.

So maybe something along the lines about what interests you in your EMT job?

curious if there is some way I can combine my knowledge of the two fields into one career.

If someone had told me that I had to forego learning and growing so that all I could ever have was TWO fields and ONE career at - say age 15? [1]

I suppose I'd have simply done my very best to shag and drink myself to death within the year at the horror of facing a whole lifetime of such limitations and their insane boredom.

As it was, I just treated than behaviour as a side effect, spread it out over another 12 years, and carried on with the important stuff that funded it.

Why do you think either one of those fields is the last new thing that will ever catch your interest? If you can already do BOTH, you've only just started.

Basically, if you have to ask at all, you need to ask yourself the question.

No one else. You can do this. And more. Humans are flexible critters. We were meant to be.

[1] A school Guidance Counsellor once actually tried that on. These are not the brightest embers on the average campfire. Result was not good for her self-esteem (tears of shame) when she suggested I stop filling up half the week in Industrial Arts - as an unofficial, but VERY welcome assistant instructor to the sole badly over-worked "real" one - and take a remedial reading course! Y'know Collitch folk and preconceived notions? If this lad is down there trying to learn all he can about a "blue collar" field, he must be some kind of a dummy! That bulls**t was the biggest purple-rage trigger-button I ever wore, and it still IS!

Last edited:
Just move to a Country with less stringent laws about medical (mal??)practice, and start doing some experimental Implant work, out of the garage or something.

R

Warsaw, Indiana is a center for medical/orthopedic implant machining. I think Zimmer and DePuy are the famous ones, but there are several others, probably started by people who left the big ones to start their own outfits. I suspect they mostly value machining skill, but medical knowledge might get you on a path to design work and better pay. I have always thought the best designers need to understand manufacturing methods.

About Zimmer Biomet

Larry

A friends machine shop....one of the best employees comes in weekends and keep the
machines humming.

He's studying to be a doctor, so no promotinghim up at the machine shop, shame
he is very dependable.

Just move to a Country

Something similar to that is a road VERY well travelled in the Medical field, and "globally" so.

The borderline legendary Chinese Dentist and Oral Surgeon in Hong Kong who pulled my Silver/Mercury amalgam fillings to replace with gold inlays had a Royal College of Surgeons Cert at the top of his wall display. Canadian Universities in the middle. His first one was from a medical School in the Philippines. It is not a craft that abides of hibernating on yerazz. One must stay abreast of change. If finances dictate a modest beginning? A "beginning" is what it IS and with an income rather than more debt. Just raise the bar each go thereafter.

I doubt George ever had a dime of debt. Cantonese don't like to PAY interest. They'd rather collect it.

I always thought it would be cool designing and building prosthetics.
It seems to me that every patient's needs would different.

Several paths seem to be possible.

Look for a company that makes medical devices. See if they need machinists or even just assembly people.

Go around to medical practices and hospitals and leave your card. Tell them that you can make any special devices that they may need. But GET LIABILITY INSURANCE FIRST.

Every city has a company that sells and rents medical devices of all types. Ask if they need a repair tech.

Go to your state employment bureau. It is their job to find jobs for people. Describe what you want. Be prepared to wait a bit. Check back from time to time to keep your application active.

I always thought it would be cool designing and building prosthetics.
It seems to me that every patient's needs would different.

Surely hope so!

Kinda scary if there's an Inch-hoorance agency or Obamacare Department standardizing them with a bandsaw just so they can skim-off the advantages of mass-production as Danish Healthcare seems to do with prosthetic haemorrhoids.

Several years ago there was a news article, local paper I think. A EMT invented a lever device to apply chest compressions for CPr in a helicopter medi-flight. Problem had been the FAA said that they had to be belted in during takeoff and landing so they were not able to reach the patient to do the the compression's.
I bet similar laws for ambulances mean it is hard to do a lot of work on a person. What special harness does a ambulance attendant have to wear while riding in back with patient? I bet it could be improved.
Also read recently that gurneys have had to become motorized as patients become more obese. Pushing a loaded gurney up a slope threw out many backs. They even make off road 4wd gurneys now.
I think it was this site about two years ago had a guy make a 4wd wheel chair for his wife to get outside and garden.
A custom adjustable motorized wheel chair can run over $15,000 easy.
Bill D.

Several years ago there was a news article, local paper I think. A EMT invented a lever device to apply chest compressions for CPr in a helicopter medi-flight. Problem had been the FAA said that they had to be belted in during takeoff and landing so they were not able to reach the patient to do the the compression's.

I bet similar laws for ambulances mean it is hard to do a lot of work on a person. What special harness does a ambulance attendant have to wear while riding in back with patient? I bet it could be improved.
Also read recently that gurneys have had to become motorized as patients become more obese. Pushing a loaded gurney up a slope threw out many backs. They even make off road 4wd gurneys now.
I think it was this site about two years ago had a guy make a 4wd wheel chair for his wife to get outside and garden.
A custom adjustable motorized wheel chair can run over $15,000 easy.
Bill D.

Lot of opportunities in all that, but one minor point. The FAA publish rules. They monitor to see them respected. Responsible Aviators are their partners.

Pilot in Command's job to interpret time, place, balance of risks, any need of exceptions for circumstances, life saving high on the list. Clerks on the ground do not fly the aircraft, nor direct the aircrew.

Were practically next door, we have several Medical Manufacturing firms here in SLC. Varian comes to mind.

I think the OP is looking for some way to mix the 2 things, EMT-Machinerer. Best I can think of is going the Frankenstein/Frankenstien route.

Thanks Milland, just watched that the other day.

R

Second thought, you could go the the Junior College where they teach Machinering, just bring your EMS equipment, OR i know of a couple Harry Hacksaw joints that should probably have standby EMT's, and you could do a little Chiseling in the mean time.

Back