What's new
What's new

Wanted: very thin, and small circular saw blade.

Margie

Plastic
I am in need of a very thin and small circular saw blade. Something on the order of .003 or less. Does anyone know where I can get this? I'm a jeweler and jeweler's supply companies do not have anything that thin.

I am in need of a very thin and small circular saw blade. Something on the order of .003 or less. Does anyone know where I can get this? I'm a jeweler and jeweler's supply companies do not have anything that thin.

When I read the thickness I think "razor blade". What is the material you wish to cut? I can imagine maybe a dentist working with something that thin.

We use .012 thick with a 2.5 OD and 1 inch hole. My supplier makes smaller diameter and thinner ones. Southern Carbide, try them.

Hey!
Just looked in the saw drawer , we have Thurston and Malco blades !
The Thurston website listed a .004 blade and Malco showed a .006 .
We have a .005 here from malco .
Thanks!
Dan K.

A typical razor saw with an ultra thin kerf is .008

You can find blades thinner than this, but they need be used in a fixed micro saw. You can't accurately control the blade in a freehand tool.

Watch lathe collets were made with holes as small as .1 mm, about .004 inch. The collets were made of tool steel and they have three saw slots entering the central hole. Those slots are really, really narrow. Someone made the blades for those slots.

A surface grinder can thin an existing blade, and it would probably need to be done wet.

Larry

FWIW, you might find it easier to catch and recycle the precious metal chips from a somewhat thicker saw with coarser teeth than the thinnest possible saw. Might also get a straighter cut, meaning less rework.

How deep do you need to go?

Saws can be thinned on the rim, only as much radial distance as necessary. I have done it but not quite to the extremes you envision.
IME, only work one side and leave the factory hollow grind on the one side. the grinder should be set to do a slight hollow grind on the side that is being dressed, but it can't be much at all at the thickness you are attempting. As Larry mentions it needs flood coolant to keep from burning the tips.

smt

That's not much thickness at all. :)

I really don't know if </=.003" is practical. The blade could be made that thin, but will it run in equipment that can utilize it without constant risk of catastrophic failure from deflection and/or less than fully controlled feed? .005" -.006" range or so might be reasonable at 1mm DOC.

smt.

Do a quick Google search on the net and on this site for SLITTING FOUNTAIN PEN NIBS, and you'll find a lot of chatter about VERY thin saws, abrasive cutoff and the like.

Back