What's new
What's new

Warner & Swasey #5 crossfeed issues.... need help ???

rockfish

Titanium
We have a Warner & Swasey #5 (squarehead) that developed some feed issues. The crossfeed locked up on us. We took the cross slide off and while we did get some movement on the screw, we cannot get the screw out of it and we're only getting about 5 or 6" of travel. There is a bronze nut on the end of the screw for the taper attachment, which we can screw that off........but something is binding the screw from moving throughout it's entire travel and the only way I can see that it comes apart is........ it must unscrew from the lead nut, which we can't get it to do.

Any suggestions ??? Is this screw one piece.......or two ????

Frank

Well....... I got the screw out. I did call Gahr, and they were helpful. This machine was outfitted with a taper attachment and there is a collar with a gear that slides over the lead screw. You can only see this gear through an access hole through the side. There is a wing nut/rack assembly on the side that needed to be assembled just right in order to hold that gear so that it wouldn't slide forward and catch. I got the screw out, and although the screw looks to be in fair condition for it's age, and the nut looks very good as well........they are fitting very tight. Gahr has parts.....but they are VERY expensive.......and they said as much. He told me he hoped I didn't need them. I may have to think about taking a cleanup pass on that lead screw. What have I got to lose ???

Luckily, we are pretty slow right now........so I've got a bit of time to work on this.

Frank

Back