What's new
What's new

Warner and Swasey chuck 1605C

weedy64

Aluminum
I have a W&S 1605C chuck and I can find no online reference to 1605C. What is it? Spindle type?

I want to mount it onto a D1-6 backing plate, the right one if I can find it. Does someone make adapters for A,B American Standard to D camlock?

I'd have to look at that chuck very hard before spending any money on it. AFAIK, W&S stopped making chucks over 40 years ago. Don't get me wrong, they made very good chucks, but yours was probably mounted on a turret lathe and had the crap beat out of it.
JR

Has ACME T. L. stamped in it. I will disassemble and evaluate before I go further. If you wanted to see pictures what would you like to see?

Its not like I don't have a 3 jaw chuck but its Chicom and on a Monarch, well that just doesn't feel right. This W&S seems much more substantial and has T&G reversible jaws, I have used it before on an old lathe with a screw-on spindle but have now upgraded to this Monarch lathe so hence the dilemma.

Thx all

Has ACME T. L. stamped in it. I will disassemble and evaluate before I go further. If you wanted to see pictures what would you like to see?

Maybe more important, what is your intended usage of this chuck ? and what level of accuracy do you need ?

The lathe is 28" x 144". I turn (rough) 18" chilled iron rolls (3500lbs max) with the lathe, so it would hold a roll stub shaft/axle 2-5"dia, other end is live centered in tail-stock. I finished corrugating them on an old planer. Smaller rolls I turn and then thread\groove the length 8"x55" or so at 8-10tpi (double start 5. I can live with .002-.003 TIR, obviously the less the better. If I can grip adequately with the 3 Jaw then I don't have to change chucks as often. The 4 Jaw is just that much bigger to deal with on this lathe. A jib might be nice. I have a 3T rail but its lying on the ground so far. I currently use a forklift for loading work pieces but its a bit cumbersome for chuck work.

My previous lathe was smaller, old(babbit) and worn out and so the roll size was limited to 12". I used the 4jaw in this case, it never came with a 3jaw until the W&S one was acquired. I never ran rolls with it the (3jaw) I don't think and if so they were limited to 1200#.

The new to me lathe allows me to do all of the sizes I deal with except the 24"ers.

So this is a powerchuck with the powerwrench attached to the headstock, comes in from the
back with a jaw coupling to engage the pinions ?
Or is this a hydraulic/air cylinder type ?

I think .002 T.I.R. is gonna be hard to hold.

No its a manual chuck.

Maybe my TIR requirement is out to lunch.

These rolls are for feed processing so their surface wears and needs truing. I indicate the shafts when I setup and cut the wearing surface true. They weigh enough that I think it is easier on their bearings if they are concentric. I don't recall their operating rpm but I think its in the 4-600rpm range

Has ACME T. L. stamped in it.

Which means Acme Turret Lathe - a make eventually owned by L&S.

Smallest will have 8" Type A and largest will have 11" Type A spindle noses

D1-6" on a 28" lathe sounds wimpy. Has the lathe been raised?

It does seem wimpy to me too, but it is what it is. Its a 612 2516-19 x 144, Yes it has a factory raised compound for sure, about 1-1/4" . I can't really tell looking at the headstock/tailstock it all looks fairly large. Its is the only Monarch of this type Ive ever had my hands on. It was used in a plywood plant to peel rubber off of large rolls etc, it was dirty but quiet when I bought it. The mill closed and dispersed equipment, the onsite maintenance staff said it never worked very hard at that plant. So the D1-6 wasn't a factor. Previous use - who knows, paperwork says it always belonged to Georgia Pacific forestry..

here is a very similar unit with a lot of new paint!
Page Not Found - Your Ultimate Source For Buying and Selling Quality Metalworking, Woodworking and Industrial Machinery

says Page Not Found but link currently works for me

Whatever - there it is. Thumbnail will give info and 8" and 11" A type. And what ever that is, your D1-6" backplate / adapter will have to accommodate whatever bolt holes are in the chuck. Better if chuck is A-11" as it will be easier to get the chuck bolts to miss the D1-6" details - though thicker back plates can help. Second thumbnail has D1-6" info

If it turns out you can't read these we can try emailing them if you want to private message me that address

Attachments

• A and B chucks.jpg
    A and B chucks.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 72
  • D chucks.jpg
    D chucks.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 58
Thanks I can read them.

Im sure its not an 11" as the chuck is ~10", I think its an 8" but maybe a 6" A type. I will look it over when Im in the shop again.

Back