What's new
What's new

concentric machining

stmboatbruce

Aluminum
I am getting ready to make a 5C collet drawbar for my horizontal mill. My design uses a 2.5" OD thrust bearing that will be mounted in a 3" OD split housing on the back end of the drawbar. The 1 3/8" OD drawbar tube will pass through both halves of the housing, so a 1 3/8" bore will need to be machined in the housing halves. Both ends of the two split housing halves need to be machined concentric.
What is the most accurate method of holding the housing parts on the lathe to insure the machining on each end is concentric? I have been thinking about boring a 1" dia hole first and then using a 1" mandrel in a collet holder (the largest I have) to hold the work when I machine the opposite end. I am concerned about keeping the work concentric on a 1" mandrel. I guess I could use a steady rest on the 3" OD when machining the second end. I would then place the work pieces on the mill to bore out to 1 3/8" ID.
I suspect that there is a better way but I am not skilled enough to know the method. I am concerned that a four jaw chuck will not maintain the concentricity of the machining on both ends.

Back