What's new
What's new

Way to change output shaft rotation.

Kingston1100

Aluminum
Have a request to do a project that requires changing the direction of rotation of an output shaft of a garden tractor. If you can picture the shaft coming out of the front end of a garden tractor trans.Customer wants shaft to extend out the front of the tractor. This part is easy, But the implement requires the opposite rotation. Have a picture in my mind of a small gearbox with 2 spurgears to change rotation.Horsepower requirements are about 25 horespower.This would be lightweight & have gearlube inside.Also have an idea of 2 sprockets & using the tightener sprocket with bearings on the front & back side of plates to support shafts.I think gearbox would be nicer if price is reasonable. Any ideas & suppliers keeping in mind we are in Canada would be greatly appreciated.Thanks for now.

Crossed belt
I was going to suggest the Crossed Belt, also.. But was afraid I might be thought of as a Simpleton that was raised on a farm..

<<< Raised on a farm..

If you go the gear route, I'd try to go with helicals, despite some end thrust, to reduce noise/whine. I'd go with tapered roller bearings and an oil fill and call it a good day. Shaft seals would be necessary plus a good protection shield would also help to keep the heavy chunks out.

I'm also trying to recall if a planetary set can reverse rotation...might be able to find horsepower-validated components in a (good, but) scrapped automotive transmission.

Something you may wish to think about would be the use of a PTO gear box.
They can be purchased in right or left drives, be
disengaged when not in use and gear reductions can
be sized. At best perhaps the only thing you would need to add would be a base plate for mounting.

Just an idea that may help,

Patch

Kingston;

Check the "Drive Line section" at Princess Auto.
There is one in Regina, and in Saskatoon. They
are very good at carrying PTO,Tractor, and trailer
parts. Or check out their website www.princessauto
.com.

I am in no way associated with Princess Auto or
its affiliates.

Jamie

not sure if this will work or not. use a rear drive differential from a car. lock the drive shaft so it can't turn. spin one wheel the other rotates in the opiste direction. Wil lthis actually transfer any force/ no idea at all.
Bill D.

Would a right angle drive be any advantage? You can get inexpensive, robust agricultural bevel gearboxes, they offer a choice or rotation direction depending which side the output bevel is fitted.

We used to use Comer (made in Italy), they were excellent units, the one we used was the L5A from memory, cast iron, it handled 15hp @ 540 rpm. There also an aluminium version, the L25A. There was a choice of shaft type (either 25mm plain, keyed, or splined) and 1:1 and other ratios. Could also get it with double output shaft. The housings have tapped holes for mounting. Also larger models available.

These gearboxes were inexpensive, we paid around NZ$100, but thats a few years back, and we bought them as OEM buyers.

Not a very easy website, nor does it show Canadian distributors, but you could try an e-mail for local distributors?

http://www.comerindustries.com/eng/area3/index.htm

We had a saw rig when I was at home and the cross belt worked just fine.

Certainly the 'cost' justifies the attempt. Flip side would be to turn the tractot 180 degrees.

SlicerMan: I think we might be on the same page with a parallel shaft setup but wasn't sure of the proper name. I am thinking of an aluminum case but not sure where to access one in Canada.Thanks everyone for the ideas so far.

reverse shaft direction

I noticed a post from 2007 in regards to changing the shaft rotation direction on a small lawn tractor. I purchased a 40 in. snow blower and mounted it on the front of my 618 grasshopper mower. Everything worked out perfect except for the shaft rotation. It never crossed my mind about the shaft rotation. Now I have considerable time and money invested and wanted to ask how you resolved your problem . I would like to find some type of in line device, maybe a tubular unit that uses some type of planitary gears to change the saft direction I don't have a lot of space to work with.Any input would be very much appreciated thanks Dave

Back