Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Way O.T. How to Humanely Euthanize a Cat

Billtodd is offline Stainless
    Colchester UK (where the lathes used to be made)

the body knows that it is not getting oxygen, and the panic pain and terror will last for several minutes before death.
    Hypoxia (the effect that occurs at high altitude) can be induced with pure Nitrogen. Research on Pigs has shown that they will repeatedly 'gas' themselves into unconsciousness, if fed from a enclosed trough engulfed in Nitrogen. Apparently, even when presented with the option of a gas chamber trough or an identical, non-gas trough they chose the former!

Nitrogen Induced Hypoxia has even been suggested as a painless method of capital punishment!

BBC World Service - Outlook - Michael Portillo: How to kill a human being.

[edit]

BTW I am entirely in agreement with Frank Ford. Please take the Puss to the vet.

T. Jost is online now Cast Iron

My Wife's 19 year old feline friend came home (after being missing for a week) on the Sunday morning we were leaving on vacation. No vet open in the area. It was dragging its hind quarters and not breathing well. After some deliberation we ground up a lortab and a muscle relaxant, mixed it with some tuna juice and administered it via an eye-dropper. The poor critter lapped it up, laid down, purred for a while, closed its eyes and stopped breathing. We were able have a burial that satisfied my wife and kids and were on our way in about 4 hours. Seemed humane and cost very little.
    metlcutr55 likes this.

AeroE is offline Cast Iron

The vet charges $40.

Your daughter can hold the cat in her lap while the injection is given. The cat will simply go to sleep. Your daughter can grieve quietly.

I made a simple little cedar box from 1X stock for my wife's cat. Drilled holes for the lid and started drywall screws. I took the box and my rechargeable drill into the vet's office. After my wife was done, I put the cat in the box, took her home, and buried her in a hole I dug three days previous. With a pick, the ground was like concrete in mid summer. The box had a second purpose, it prevented other critters from digging up the carcass.

The main thing here is that you do your job as the animal's caretaker and do not let it suffer. Whether you do that by using a vet's services or by doing the necessary work yourself doesn't matter, but in this case you have to take account and care of another person's needs, too. I don't recommend some half assed gassing or drugging scheme, use a firearm up close and be swift and sure.

Frank Ford is offline Hot Rolled

Well, the vet called this morning to say that she could come earlier, namely just after noon today, so I called the shop and arranged to take most of the day off. Time for me to be supportive. . .

hickstick_10 is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by 5 axis Fidia guy View Post
    You guys in Canada never will have a sense of humor will ya.

I couldn't find a joke in your stretched out version of.

"My daughters cat is old, I hunt and have lots of guns but the cost for euthanasia is to high. Is there a home grown way to kill the cat in a way my daughter can watch without seeing blood? While it would be neat to watch, I don't think I should feed the cat to my big dogs"

Eather way, others have offered you potential solutions to your problem, best of luck.

mark thomas is offline Titanium

You might ask around locally for vet options. Around here there's a couple vets who specialize in home euthanasia (I think one one does nothing but that.) It's been a while since I used these services, but it was way less than $150.

Fwiw, many areas have laws against disposing of dead animals, like burying in backyard. The vet who did my last home euthanasia basically said "you have to dispose of the dead animal at a vet of humane society -- wink, wink." Depending on where you live, you might want to keep burial out of neighbor view.

Alpacca Fortyfive is offline Stainless

I'm with Mr Ford on the Human side.

Talk it through with the daughter. Even the trip to the vets is not without pain, especially for an old and perhaps confused puss, and especially for the humans who love it.

On the question of asphyxia:
    A simple oxygen deficiency, due to altitude or some other odourless gas displacing the oxygen is very like alcohol intoxication, it creeps up on you, there is no warning and you are not aware that it is happening, and that you are becoming impaired, just like another drink seems like a good idea after you've already had one to many...

I've worked for a short spell in a very oxygen deficient atmosphere down a mine shaft, and it is euphoric. I can see how the pigs got hooked. I was on a lifeline and in voice contact with mates on the surface, If I'd collapsed, I'd have been winched out in seconds.

I gather that the euphoric effect of hypoxia is the reason kids go sniffing butane and the like (and too often kill themselves in the process).

Add excess Carbon dioxide, and the result is like holding your breath, you pant and gasp and you desperately want fresh air, it is frightening.

Mr.Obvious is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by hickstick_10 View Post

I couldn't find a joke in your stretched out version of.
    On the day a mild fall turned into a fridgid November night, I had a stray cat scoot into my shop through an open door at 4:30 PM on a Friday night.. Knowing the implications of not setting the alarm and motion detectors, I called the ASPCA to get someone out to capture the cat and remove it.

Me: Hello, ASPCA, a stray cat just ran into my building and I need someone to come out and get it.

ASPCA: Will that be Visa or Mastercard?

Me: Huh? It's not my cat.

ASPCA: Is it in your building?

Me: Yes.

ASPCA: Then it is your cat. We charge $90 to bring you a cage. $20/day rental for the cage and then $90 to pick it up. Will that be Visa or Mastercard?

Me: I have a better idea, how about I just wack it with a shovel and toss it into the woods.

ASPCA: In that case, we would have you arrested, fined and imprisoned for animal cruelty. Can I have your name and address please?

Me: Hell NO. [hanging up]

The story ends with the cat dying a lonely death in a 2x2 box in an animal shelter after biting me (another entire post involving Workman's Comp claims, the health department and more threats of fines and imprisonment not involving garden tools). The moral of the story is, don't joke about it unless you want squad cars and animal control officers screeching into your parking lot.

Forrest Addy is offline Diamond

"While it would be neat to watch, I don't think I should feed the cat to my big dogs." Despicable statement; I hope not from a despicable human being. Dogs are carnivors and normally dispatch their prey promptly. Critters do as critters do but when humans set up "...nature, red in tooth and claw" as a bloody spectical it says volumes about their potential behavior towards other humans. Possibly even loved ones.

You daughter seemd to want a "ceremony of passage" to see her aged cat out of this life as kindly as possible. Argon or N2 can be gently wafted to form an inert cloud in the cat bed tented with poly sheet. It will result in a non-traumatic, painless, and humane uthanasia. However it seems too much like an execution to me. I vote for the vet for your daughter's beloved cat. Shop around. Many vets will adjust their fees if money is short.

JunkyardJ is offline Titanium

Default I put down one of my cats with a .22.

I had a cat that was over 20 years old, raised her from a kitten. She got to the point where she'd take a piss on the couch, then lay in it. Wouldn't groom herself anymore, so skinny she looked like a walking corpse. She still ate her food every day, and enjoyed affection, but you could tell it was pure pain to move and she had lumps all in her stomach area (I'm guessing cancer). Anyways, called a few local vets, $150 for the deed and disposal of the body (wouldn't allow me to take her home). Pure ripoff, and it would have been pretty traumatic to stuff her in a cat carrier to take her in anyways. So, I spent some time petting her, and saying goodbye, let her outside. Walked up behind her, and shot her at the base of the skull point blank with my .22 pistol. She never knew what happened, but I sure did. I'll NEVER forget it, but it had to be done. If you decide to go that route, I just thought you should know it won't be easy, and your daughter shouldn't witness it.

Even inert gasses will still cause seizures and convulsions. It's not like it will just go to sleep, after the loss of consciousness, there will be some sort of convulsions. Plus confining the cat might make it freak out. I wouldn't even try it.

Alpacca Fortyfive is offline Stainless

Some questions for you to think about (I don't need the answers)

Is intervention necessary?
    We have a couple of elderly cats, occasional eye drops and occasional courses of antibiotics are needed for them, and they are otherwise healthy and happy.

How old is your daughter?

What is her level of understanding of the situation?

If it is in serious pain, or terminal illness, don't think twice about taking it to the vet. It is the only acceptable way, and it is also teaching your daughter compassion and responsibility.

Joking about cruelty really does give other people a bad impression of you (all we can see of you are the words which you choose to type).

rons is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by 5 axis Fidia guy View Post
    I realize I could just shoot it in the head and be done with it
    Perfect, then both of you would have a hole in the head.

I see posts being closed almost immediately because somebody forgets some stupid little rule
    or they have a import machine. But not this one. Go figure that one out..........

S_W_Bausch is offline Diamond

This might not be a topic of discussion several decades ago, but times have changed.

There are more bullies in the school system, and administrators are basically cowards.

All you need is the euthunasia to get messy, perhaps you chasing a wounded cat. Or perhaps your daughter simply discusses the event at school.

"Daddy shot my cat"

Rumors have a way of becoming something outlandish.

"Her father didn't have to shoot the cat, I saw it the other day, it looked fine"

Unless you are completely convinced your daughter is surrounded by trusting and gentle classmates, you don't want to allow the malicious classmate to torture your daughter with "did your daddy take the cat to the vet, what did the vet say?"

Spend some money, unless you have access to a time machine and can "do it all over another way".
    doug8cat likes this.

AeroE is offline Cast Iron

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardJ View Post
    ... She never knew what happened, but I sure did. I'll NEVER forget it, but it had to be done. If you decide to go that route, I just thought you should know it won't be easy, and your daughter shouldn't witness it.
    Rural folk where I was raised have two ways to handle this if the vet is not an option; either do it yourself, or have a good neighbor or friend do the work.

Sometimes life is tougher than we want.

Andy FitzGibbon is offline Titanium

If you're going to do it yourself at home, shooting it will be a magnitude less traumatic for the cat than any sort of asphyxiation. Probably not less traumatic for your daughter, though, if she is to be involved.
    I am of the opinion that home euthanasia is generally much more humane than taking the animal to the vet. All the animals I've ever had (especially cats) hated and feared the vet's office. I think they would have been a lot happier dying at home.
    Andy

jdj
    jdj is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    If you're going to do it yourself at home, shooting it will be a magnitude less traumatic for the cat than any sort of asphyxiation. Probably not less traumatic for your daughter, though, if she is to be involved.
    I am of the opinion that home euthanasia is generally much more humane than taking the animal to the vet. All the animals I've ever had (especially cats) hated and feared the vet's office. I think they would have been a lot happier dying at home.
    Andy

Very true. Cats usually HATE that car ride.

Jeff

Bobw is offline Diamond

Take that poor kitty to the vet, take your daughter too.

The vet is pretty darn good, they can really put your mind, or more importantly your daughters at ease(that you are doing the right thing). you or her can hold her while she goes, no brain splatter.

It still sucks, but at least its peaceful and painless.

Nobody has mentioned it, but when I went, they took the cat, put a
    needle in her left arm and put a needle in her right arm. Then they brought
    her back to me. The first shot in one of her arms just kind of chilled her out and calmed her down, killed the pain, and the second shot in the other arm stopped her heart. She just went to sleep. It was a few minutes, they put her in a nice box and I brought her home to bury.

Shooting it in the head, I don't have the balls for that. I don't want to see blood, and I don't have the balls to pull the trigger.

Take it to the vet, they've got the good chemicals to do it quick and painless. It's still going to suck though.

Sea Farmer is offline Titanium

Go to the vet.

I saw someone shoot a cat. It was a good shot, but the after-death convulsions were sickening. Cat probably jumped into the air three or four feet, several times. Not something your daughter should even know about, let alone see.

Go to the vet.

wb2vsj is offline Hot Rolled

Quote Originally Posted by magneticanomaly View Post
    ... Vet killed the dog with an injection, I do not know what it was, but I saw the dog SUFFER a second or two of pure panic when that drug, administered IV, hit whatever its target organ was....
    Sounds like that vet didn't know what they were doing. When our Yellow Lab was put down, they used 2 injections. One to literally put her to sleep then a second one to stop the heart. He said it was for exactly that reason you stated.

kustomizer is offline Hot Rolled

If I couldn't just die in my sleep, I would wish to freeze. Cold for a while, go to sleep and don't wake up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast