What's new
What's new

Frankenstein Lagun FT-1 OR FTV-1?

cwleveck

Plastic
I have acquired a bit of a Frankenstein machine.
I believe it's an early model Lagun with a Bridgeport Variable speed J -head.
The question is regarding the serial number.....
Mine is 4 digits. Everyone else's seems to be 5.....
Any help identifying the base so I can start looking for the correct manual would be helpful.
I did decide this must be a FT-1 based on the length of the bed. It's the only thing it could be.
But there are a couple subtle differences in the drawings, anx I've looked all over for one with similar badging with no luck...
My name placard logo thing on the side of the ram is different from any lagun I've found anywhere.
Will try and figure out how to post pictures....
The serial number on the Y-axis is:

SE-4526

Any help is appreciated.
TRIED contacting Lagun twice, no response...
Strange because others have said the support is great. Even on dinosaurs such as mine....

It's been converted to CNC and it's got some big ol steppers on it, clearly after market. I'm sorting those out.
First thing I'd like to do is get a positive ID on it.....
So I can start looking for some parts.....
Is there a registry?
I keep finding machines that I think look like mine but I've got a 4 numerical digit serial number and everything I've found listing one has a 5 digit....
Starting to frustrate me a little bit the Lagun people won't get back to me......
Christopher

I have SE-8521, which is a 1979 FTV-3 CNC, originally fitted with a bandit control (which was half gone when i got it and promptly pulled the rest for a Mesa/LinuxCNC retrofit with newer Baldor servos from a parted Lagunamatic 310 a fellow PM member parted)

Are you certain it was a half-assed retrofit and not a factory option? The early FTV-CNC machines were basically knee mills with motors hung off the ends where the handles would have been. Post some pictures and you might get some good responses.

Regarding Lagun's support they used to have a really excellent guy IIRC Carmen? that was in the parts department and had been around all the original CNC's when they came over and were equipped in the 70's. The younger guy I spoke with last time I called in was nowhere near as good with the old stuff.

As matter fact mine has a lot of Bandit stuff on it...
I believe the machines with the Bandit controller had the hasbach z-axis and the summit Dana power drawbar.....
I'll get some pics...
Thanks,
What's the main difference between the FTV 1-2-3?
Is there anyway to tell just by looking, some bump or feature?
Christopher

As matter fact mine has a lot of Bandit stuff on it...
I believe the machines with the Bandit controller had the hasbach z-axis and the summit Dana power drawbar.....

Not if it was a 40 taper machine, then it would likely have no drawbar and an Erickson QC system on the spindle nose. The Z-axis propulsion varied drastically with vintage.

What's the main difference between the FTV 1-2-3?
Is there anyway to tell just by looking, some bump or feature?
Christopher

Some of them had it in lettering on the ram or on a data/maker plate of sort like in this pic: https://listatool.com/wp-content/uploads/client/1562/listing/78682/images/20170201-DSC_0929.jpg

AFAIK the FTV-3 is a heavier machine kinda of like BP's series II machines, I haven't ever seen a 40 taper or monster 5 HP head on an FTV-1

Mine has the 30 NMTB taper.... It actually came with a whole mess of tool holders. And I do have the summit dana power drawbar working now its pretty cool. It takes about a half a second to drop the old tool and another half a second to suck in the new one!
Its awesome, When I go to a buddies shop i have to stand on a stool and grab a cold wrench and it takes for ever to get the damn tool out of his bridgeport.... I have really bad arthritis so changes tools on his mill is like a special kind of torture. Mines got two buttons in and out. And its quick as all hell. I couldnt be happier with it.

Mine is 4 digit as well, I spoke with Carmen within the past month or so and he told me it was from the late '70's. Serial is SE-3368. After going back and forth with him, he stopped emailing. Not sure what to do for tech support, as I'm missing the motor and have no clue what to replace it with. Best of luck to you!

Back