What's new
What's new

Weight, price, and what to inspect on Bridgeport Series II Special?

awake

Titanium
I'm looking at a Bridgeport Series II Special - the one with the Series II base and the 2J2 2HP variable speed head. It is not under power, so I can't see it run. The table ways are reasonably good, from what I can see. It has a DRO and X-axis powerfeed.

Three questions:

1) Given that I cannot inspect it under power, is there anything that I should and can check out? (Obviously I'll check the table ways, backlash, etc.; also, I can check the DRO and the power feed, as they are on a separate 110v circuit.) The seller is a friend of a friend, and I think there is reasonable grounds for trust ... but no way to know for sure ahead of time.

2) Based on the description above, and the fact that it is not under power, is $1500 a good price? I've been watching for something along these lines for quite some time, and it *seems* like a good price compared to what I've seen ... but I don't know if the Series II Special tends to run higher or lower than the more common (around here) Series I.

3) I've seen a weight of 5000 lbs for the regular Series II ... but I'm not getting a clear sense of how much weight, if any, is reduced by the Special version. Anybody know? And does anybody happen to know how much the base and knee would weigh with the turret removed? (Trying to think through options for moving it ...)

Many thanks!

IMO in decent shape $1500 would be a steal. The base didn't have any special problems I recall, so inspection is the usual mechanical inspection, condition of ways, backlash, apprentice marks in table, broken handles, look for forklift impacts, etc. Air assist for the knee lift was an option.

Book weight is listed as 3930# net and 4780# shipping.

If it is a 2hp head it is 1977 or later.

I have a manual for sale if you end up interested.

IMO in decent shape $1500 would be a steal.

+1

At that price, I wouldn't even be concerned about seeing it run. As gbent said, usual checks on ways, screws and such. If the lower half is tight and you later find out the head has issues, you'll be far enough ahead to repair/replace what's wrong and still be in good shape.
Actually, even if the head was all together missing, but the rest was good, I'd still be interested at that price!

Just a crazy idea I suppose, but if there is a 220 single phase circuit anywhere nearby, you could take VFD along to plug in and supply 3 phase power. I do not know your current shop setup, so if we're going to need a VFD anyway, that idea would almost make sense. :) Even better would be if you have or a friend already has such a vfd. Even a 1-horse would provide enough juice to hear the spindle and take a few light cuts..

Denis

Added,: Incidentally, you can get 1hp 3-Phase out of 115 single phase VFD's in case only 110(5) single phase was available and you had access to such a VFD. I've have such a unit running a sanding disc just hanging on the wall by two hooks..... So easy to just unplug it, and wire up a mill to at least test it out.

Helpful answers - thanks! No VFD on hand, unfortunately. I've got a 3-phase motor that I've been planning to turn into an rpc, but haven't started on that project yet.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Hmmm - maybe not a Series II after all. The head says Series I, but it is the 2J2 head as best I can tell. I don't know enough to know if the body is just a regular Series I, or if it is a Series II. Unfortunately, my picture from the side, for some reason, didn't store correctly, so I don't know if the pictures below will be enough for anyone to tell ...

According to one on-line source, the S/N puts it as a 1981 model.

Attachments

• 20170427_141116.jpg
    20170427_141116.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 741
  • 20170427_141122.jpg
    20170427_141122.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 511
  • 20170427_140141.jpg
    20170427_140141.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 557
  • 20170427_140631.jpg
    20170427_140631.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 410
  • 20170427_140712.jpg
    20170427_140712.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 445
For my purposes, a Series I is good - more manageable in terms of weight. But how might this affect the value/price?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

As gbent says, a series II is a much beefier machine with box ways and a larger than normal table.
Hard to tell condition from the pics, but around here I'd say that machine would be around $1500, plus/minus a few hundred depending on condition. Possibly more if a bunch of tooling is included.

Never quite understood the logic/design of series 1 and series 2. Isn't the head the same on a series 2 (no bigger spindle and bearings than a series 1?); if so, although more weight and size can be plunked on the table, the rigidity is still limited by the spindle size and flexy-wexy articulating joints.

No, that's the Series II Special. The real Series II machine had a 4HP head to go with that beefier table. That begs the question, why the Series II Special? All I can figure is there were some shops that wanted the additional real estate on the table, but didn't need more than the 2HP spindle.

Dennis

The Series II head is more than just a 4 hp head and 40 taper. The quill is larger. The head has infinitely variable power down feed rather than just a 3 speed unit. The weak point is the special ($200) belt for the back gear if someone thinks its an alternative for a radial arm drill.

The true Series II base has DC power feeds on all 3 axis. X and Y share the same 1.7 hp feed motor, and can be ran simultaneously. The knee drive can also be used for feeding if desired, not just positioning. If the base has the optional front handle for the table feed, its easier to drive manual than a 48" Series 1.

Since Bridgeport no longer makes the large Series II, the "Special" name has been dropped from the Series 1 head on the Series II frame, and it is now called a Series II.

You might not be able to get attachments like the right angle attachment,or the quill master if your quill is larger in diameter than the 3 3/8" standard. Having a brain far this A.M.,the standard size is 3 3/8" isn't it? All the attachments I ever see for sale are for the standard head or for the smaller M head.

As established above, this appears to be a Series I, with a 2J2 head - which should be pretty much bog standard. The mill is purchased, and will be delivered either late this week or next week, depending on how we can work out schedules. I'm in the midst of re-arranging the garage to have a place for the mill, and I'm also working on an RPC to power it - I have a spare 3 HP motor, and a friend down the street has a bunch of capacitors pulled from HVAC equipment, so I'll see if I can find what I need there. If not, I'll order caps as needed.

Back