What's new
What's new

weird table on this Doall bandsaw

Bill D

Diamond
Weird table on this doall saw. Is it something that can turn on a vertical axis or just a weird camera angle? Seller is clueless and all photos are from back. I think it is a variable speed model but it looks like belts/parts are missing.
Bill D
I believe this is a 1612 saw.
on edit; seller responded it has a welder and the plate says it is a 1612 with variable motor? No response about transmission or if he can load it on my truck.

Attachments

• doall 1612.jpg
    doall 1612.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 557
  • doall 1612 drive.jpg
    doall 1612 drive.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
It definitely looks like a 'universal' table like on a horizontal universal mill. No indication as to whether it can do compound angles from that photo.

It's definitely a variable speed 'Reeves' drive, set to the highest speed. You can just make out the motor to intermediate-pulley belt and the driven-pulley to intermediate-pully belt is very obvious. Don't know what the auxiliary drive is for. Coolant pump?

Just a weird angle I think, unless the trunnion is broken, which would be bad.... Doall did make a table that tilted in both axes but I don't think it was available on the saw you have there but it was on the ML16. It actually looks like you have most of what you need to get that going again. Coincidentally TODAY I just finished refurbishing a 16-3, mine has a hydraulic table feed and coolant pump, that aux belt on yours is probably for a vane compressor to blow away chips:

IMG_20180320_151118.jpgIMG_20180320_152015.jpgIMG_20180320_151922.jpg

Just a weird angle I think, unless the trunnion is broken, which would be bad.... Doall did make a table that tilted in both axes but I don't think it was available on the saw you have there but it was on the ML16. It actually looks like you have most of what you need to get that going again. Coincidentally TODAY I just finished refurbishing a 16-3, mine has a hydraulic table feed and coolant pump, that aux belt on yours is probably for a vane compressor to blow away chips:

View attachment 223777View attachment 223776View attachment 223775
Could you measure the footprint of the base of your saw (bottom steel plate)- I'm curious as to the dimensions. Thanks.

36" wide 30-1/2" front to back. The table overhangs the base quite a bit off of the front back and 1 side..

I'm not at the shop right now but I'm pretty sure it is 3/4. I didn't have one when I went to pick this up and needed it on a pallet; I strapped the saw near the bottom to my pickup hitch with the saw on forks above a pallet and slid it off on to the pallet by reversing the fork lift. I didn't know there was an eye bolt hole until I got it home...

What is a 16-3 saw? Is that the standard 16-12 bandsaw but with the three speed transmisson?
Any advantage to the blower over connecting to a regulated airline with a valve or solenoid? Many buyers say the air pump no is longer working and/or disconnected. Maybe older shops did not commonly have compressed air so the saws had to make their own. I would have thought by WW2 most shops would have had compressed air. This saw was designed after the war I would guess.
Since this saw is about 400 miles from me and the seller is not much help I will pass even at $500. It is in Van Nuys if anyone wants to look and explain that table. They are well known, like most bandsaws, for getting broken tables while being moved.
Bill D

Yes, 3 speed trans plus Reeves vari drive, I think they made single and 2 speed also. Mine had a devilbiss piston compressor, but it was worn out as it ran whenever the saw ran and the air inlet filter was missing. The machine was full of cutoffs and crap as it was run with the rear cover pulled back enough to let everything fall in in a filthy shop. I just converted to shop air, though Schultz make an almost identical compressor for 75$ that looks like a direct replacement. Some saws had a vane one. I would also like to add some way to easily disengage the oil pump for the table feed as I won't use it often and it is set up to run from the saw motor pulley as well. I used to have an old ml16 with 2 axis table tilt that I really liked but sold it when I got a Grob 24. The 24 is really too big for me so I'm going to sell that and keep the 16-3. I do need guide inserts and would like to find an alternative to the $120 stock ones...

What is a 16-3 saw? Is that the standard 16-12 bandsaw but with the three speed transmisson?
Any advantage to the blower over connecting to a regulated airline with a valve or solenoid? Many buyers say the air pump no is longer working and/or disconnected. Maybe older shops did not commonly have compressed air so the saws had to make their own. I would have thought by WW2 most shops would have had compressed air. This saw was designed after the war I would guess.
Since this saw is about 400 miles from me and the seller is not much help I will pass even at $500. It is in Van Nuys if anyone wants to look and explain that table. They are well known, like most bandsaws, for getting broken tables while being moved.
Bill D

Bill, can you post the contact info if your not interested in the saw?

I need a Doall 1612 carcass......

Kevin

Bill, can you post the contact info if your not interested in the saw?

I need a Doall 1612 carcass......

Kevin

It is on craigslist, Los Angeles but posted in heavy equipment, not in tools. Title is just "Doall"
If you buy please post and let us know what it really is. For $500 the welder is almost worth that.
Bill D

Back