What's new
What's new

OT Thread lock question (Forum thread)

IndyGunworks

Cast Iron
Help me figure out why this thread got locked?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/good-vise-bad-vise-205162/

it was on topic about machining
nobody was joking around
we weren't talking politics
I was learning about SINE vises and what i had mistaken as a sine vise

i understand i am asking pretty dry and basic questions right now and if thats not welcome i will go to the other site, but i happen to like it better here. Please tell me what went wrong in that thread to have it locked.

Are you guys tired of my "dumb" questions?

I read that, and i am not apposed to buying american either. But if i dont know what the tool does or if it meets my needs then i need to find out somewhere. I would have posted the same thread about the same object if it were american made. I am on the ditch side of the learning curve and appreciate the insight on this site coming from true proffesionals.

I have posted links to other "chinese" junk before, which led me to purchasing my wells index knee mill. so just because i am asking about a piece of chink, doesnt mean that i am buying said chinese product and i understand that you feel strongly about this.

I have much to learn in front of me, by my post history there is no doubt in that. And I will most definatly be talking about chinese product in the future and i am NOT a major commercial entity or manufacturer even. I WILL be posting more links to craigslist adds, and talking about ebay stuff trying to figure out what level of quality i need vs. afford and some of those adds and links WILL be chinse product. however more often than not i prefer to by american regardless.

Please if you do not condone these types of threads reply to this one and ask me to leave and i will find somewhere else to get my feet wet in machining. This is the first time this has happened to me on ANY forum and it was rather frustrating to be getting to the point in the thread where i was learning about the ACTUAL tool i SHOULD have been looking at, and then it gets locked.

Most any discussion of Chinese junk will get Millie's Loctite applied to the thread as soon as he sees it.

Larry

How am i supposed to know what is deemed "chinese junk" and whats not. i bet if i was asking about the 8,000 dollar grizzly gunsmith lathe that thread would stay open because its an expensive piece of "chinese". i guess i dont get it, i have to learn somewhere.

Don't let it bug you, it's not personal. Site maintenance is a thankless task and isn't always easy to do with surgical precision. Here it is more like civil war amputations.

How am i supposed to know what is deemed "chinese junk" and whats not. i bet if i was asking about the 8,000 dollar grizzly gunsmith lathe that thread would stay open because its an expensive piece of "chinese". i guess i dont get it, i have to learn somewhere.
You would loose that bet. If the Grizz would typically be used in a home shop that would get locked too. Exception would be if in specific home shop forum such as the South Bend forum here.

Otherwise assume all of PM is as the site title suggests...a manufacturing forum....where all machining questions/discussions are welcome but not all machines are. Note the word "junk" was L Vanice's not mine.

Just spit balling here, since this is a reoccurring issue and the source of much angst and discontent, how bout a Home-Shop machine forum in the open discussion section. Marginal subjects would get moved rather than locked?

Move marginal posts, lamp making and steam whistle posts would still meet the surgeons saw. "Home Shop" meaning someone whose primary income activity is a shop at home. A person who may be starting out and is still utilizing cheaper equipment and with more fundamental inquiries.

Just spit balling here, since this is a reoccurring issue and the source of much angst and discontent, how bout a Home-Shop machine forum in the open discussion section. Marginal subjects would get moved rather than locked?

Because there are numerous 'home shop machinist' forums already..the world doesn't need yet another one.

Thanks for the information. I think i will probably be spending more time over at THM. i will still read up on here and check in from time to time i suppose but at this point i think my needs are better suited over there.

Yeah, heck, you're not a member until you get at least one thread locked. :D

Don's got a darned good thing going here and he wants to keep the advertiser quality up by keeping the forum topics professional. The member talent is incredible and you will learn a lot (I know I have), not only modern production machining but about all sorts of cool things.

Sadly some of my money has gone overseas (vise, AXA sized quickchange) but I bought Maritools holders and decent american sourced tooling.

Best suggestion is searching for related topics before starting one.

Good luck,
Jamie
:cheers:

Keep the sets of forums on this site the way they are, do not add a Home Shop forum. I get the sentiment to do so, but there is a very good one out there already. I use both as resources for different parts of my life, my teaching/machinist life and my home shop work. Many of us transfer between both the way I do, and the knowledge depth in both sites for their intent and purpose is amazing and well laid out for either work and business issues or home shop issues.

Don does a great job. I have had a couple of dust ups with him, but agree with him more than not, so, Thanks Don for doing a job that most people would not want to do otherwise.

Back