What's new
What's new

weldable brass

What kind of welding method are you thinking of using? I've had zero success with a oxyacetylene torch because the flame wants to burn the zinc out. Maybe TIG would work. Soldering also might be better if you want minimal heat input to make the joint.

silver solder has a tensile strength around 50k psi, gotta be as much or more than the parent material and if things are clean and well fluxed and not overheated is easy to do. I've not tried welding it but would guess of did you get either a puddle of brass on the floor if you used gas or nasty fumes and no zinc with tig, or all of the above

depends on how much you want, what shape it needs to be, and, yes, what alloy- some vendors only carry 360, which is high in lead and not weldable, others only carry silicon bronze, but these are the ones with the best selection I have found.
The most "weldable" alloys dont have much, if any, zinc or lead in them.
But that changes the color.
So if it must be yellow looking, you need to compromise- the best middle ground I have found, still yellow in color, but tig weldable with a silicon bronze filler rod, is naval bronze, C464.
Silicon bronze is the most weldable, very easy to tig or mig weld, and used for most bronze cast sculptures- but it is a dark reddish color, not yellow at all. There are over 200 common copper alloys, and some are called "brass" and some "bronze", but really, all any of are is copper, with other stuff mixed in. What other stuff, and how much of it, determines machinability, color, and weldability.

http://www.farmers-copper.com/
Home
Alaskan Copper & Brass Company and Alaskan Copper Works
Silicon bronze, Copper, brass, aluminum, stainless steel, tin, lead and zinc | Atlas Metal Sales
Brass and Bronze products | Bronze & Brass Tubing | Brass and Copper Based Alloys

Yes the c464 is the alloy I would like to use. And I was planning on TIG welding it with the silicon bronze filler rod. I will check out the links you sent. Thanks Mike

Back