What's new
What's new

Were these chaser grinding holders made to use on a particular grinder or...?

Cannonmn

Stainless
This group of what I think are chaser grinding holders measures about 12" on each side, to give an idea of size. I call them chaser grinding holders because of the text on small one that's front and center. As you can see many have micrometer screws for precise adjustment. Were these made for use on a particular brand of grinder, for any tool grinder, or...? It is very unlikely that I'll do any chaser re-grinding since I don't do "volume" threading, but I'd really like to know a lot more about these. Maybe if I cleaned the crud off of them, a brand name or something would show up?
img_5335.jpg

I have held all kinds of things for work, never held an adverb though. "Chaser Grinding Holders" doesn't make sense in a sentence, I'm not sure what the question is. My Grandad would spit his coffee all over the shop if someone were using a micrometer as a workholding device or a stop, if that is your question.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I would START with "cleaning the crud off" before anything else, it would probably help your case.

Been a long time but we used them to grind Gleason cutters..I would have to think about that for a time to remember all the particulars about them.. used them on a Cincinnati #2... perhaps a special grinder was best?

Seems they had to be ground in sets that is why the micrometer adjustment. Can't remember if all the same .. or each had to be an accurate step from each other. Or the whole set had to be at a certain off set..

Might be in the Cinci hand book.

But now I look up Gleason and cant find the blades we used to sharpen.. so I don't know if they were Gleason..

Still have one of those micrometers stubs in my old tool box.. thought I might have a need..but not so far?
likely hard to find a use for the tool blocks today..

I have held all kinds of things for work, never held an adverb though. "Chaser Grinding Holders" doesn't make sense in a sentence, I'm not sure what the question is. My Grandad would spit his coffee all over the shop if someone were using a micrometer as a workholding device or a stop, if that is your question.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I would START with "cleaning the crud off" before anything else, it would probably help your case.

The grammar police have arrived; thank you so much for injecting your superior knowledge of English into my poorly-worded post, I welcome it! I'm pretty unsophisticated, some replies here go right over my head; haven't a clue about the smart phone one, but I know a fair number of these discussions are third-party conversations anyway.

Don't be a baby greenhorn, if you don't know how to articulate a question it makes it really hard to answer it, right? So look at it as me doing you a favor. There are lots of phrases and lingo exclusive to this industry, that doesn't mean you can just start making up your own shit as you go.

Asking someone to hold onto my crying doesn't make any sense either, because you can't hold and adverb. BTW I am writing this from the prison library, don't call me the "police" again. The smart phone thing is not an inside at all, Doug was just pointing out to me, that you were a dumpster diver with a smart phone. I didn't realize this was a regular thing for you to post pics of junk.

Robert

Don't be a baby greenhorn, if you don't know how to articulate a question it makes it really hard to answer it, right? So look at it as me doing you a favor. There are lots of phrases and lingo exclusive to this industry, that doesn't mean you can just start making up your own shit as you go.

Asking someone to hold onto my crying doesn't make any sense either, because you can't hold and adverb. BTW I am writing this from the prison library, don't call me the "police" again. The smart phone thing is not an inside at all, Doug was just pointing out to me, that you were a dumpster diver with a smart phone. I didn't realize this was a regular thing for you to post pics of junk.

Robert

Well how very, very SWEET of you Bobby!

Your post was very, very touching but also thought-provoking! Now you have me wondering if smart phones are still smart inside dumpsters. I'll never be able to find out on my own due to my life-threatening, aggravated claustrophobia. If you have the time and equipment, I'd be very happy if you'd run some tests to check into that.

I went and looked at the threads this clown started. You are sure right about a dumpster diver with a smart phone. All his posts are asking for people to tell him what the last piece of scrap he dragged home is.

Last edited:
The least He could do is to tell Us where He finds His stuff, Descriptions and address's would help. :)

Thanks Mark, a great intro for what I was fixin' to post for those with the dumpsterphone image! Actually I've bought most of it from now-retired Noel Dempsey of Richmond, Va. , over the past 30 years (I'm 69 now.). Some here know Noel. Here's a nice article about Noel and his former business. Note the Do-All hydraulic contour machine mentioned, which I now own.
Holmberg: Reviving the joy and honor of working with your hands will strengthen our nation | Local News | richmond.com

In the past few months Noel was trying to liquidate his stock and I was happy to help him, driving the two hours to his shop almost every Saturday, his main business day. Folks would gather in his parking lot starting at around 7am, wanting the first crack at "newly arrived goodies." Noel's dream was to set up in a smaller part of the same building which he owns, to make machines of his own design on a very limited scale. As far as I know he's doing that now. All the store stock, machinery, etc. is gone. In the last month I was buying stuff by the pallet-load and often hauled a sizeable trailer to his place to allow for both machines and pallets of both known and unknown items. I bought so many of the pallet-lots I had to put up 4 additional bays of pallet Racks in the shop, maybe I have a photo of those. Anyway a lot of the stuff is tooling I'll be able to use eventually on my numerous machines, and some I may never use, but with continued help here at least I'll know what it is! Incidentally at the left in this photo, near a door, is the 19" LeBlond Regal lathe I bought from Noel last year. It is under a tarp due to a roof leak that's now fixed. I bought those pallet Racks from Noel during his liquidation. I also bought the grey shelves (and contents) you see behind Noel in the article photo. The shelves contained mostly the contents of the spare parts room of a major pharmaceutical manufacturer-stuff used in machines on a modern production/packaging line.

img_5247.jpg

Edit: I just noticed the boxed tool on the left end of the Alliant mill table in the news photo. It is a large boring head on a mega-Morse taper arbor, what, M6? Anyway too large for any Morse tailstock I have, I think, so I'll have to see if it is removeable. I could theoretically use an adapter, but then the tool would be cantelevered excessively requiring a steady-rest; way too complicated for my taste! So far all I've done with this is to order fine-thread grub screws to fill the empty holes you see. I'm sure I have as large a grub screw collection as anyone here but for some reason fine-thread grub screws are not well-represented in it.

img_5213.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a typical pallet-load I bought from Noel during his final sale, one of many dozens of pallet loads I bought there recently. The items were strewn around the concrete floor after many weeks of the liquidation sale, I'd pick up items of interest, collect them on a pallet, and Noel would glance at it and throw out a price, usually a "scrap metal" price. Noel and I would then raise the skid with Forklift and stretchwrap it so it wouldn't spill all over in my truck. Noel is a great guy, one reason he had such a large, loyal clientele. The two threading heads on upper left were still lying there weeks into the sale because as is often the case with used heads, they were missing the vise jaws and screws, which are expensive to replace.

img_4825.jpg

Last edited:
Not attacking or condescending okay, peace right.

Cannonmn, there is a reason you got that stuff at "scrap prices". It wasn't because Noel was being your friend.

Here's a cute little rotable one of Noel's regular customers picked up near end of sale-told me he didn't want his face Online so I decapitated him here. The item weighed 3 tons.

img_48191.jpg

Not attacking or condescending okay, peace right.

Cannonmn, there is a reason you got that stuff at "scrap prices". It wasn't because Noel was being your friend.

Sure. I trust you've heard the saying "One man's trash is...?" Certainly applied here. Just as an example, do you see anything wrong with the grinding wheels in the picture? Look new to me, and I'm sure I can use them in one of many grinder-type machines we have; I can make a bushing for the arbor hole, if needed, in my sleep, almost, or dress the diameter down with broken carbide tools.

You also don't know what's underneath that top layer but as I recall there were many new-in-the-box taps one-inch dia. and over. Anyway I still have some of it to get out of the way in the shop so in a while I'm leaving for a 90 min. drive to pick up 3 more 16' pallet rack uprights to cover the last few yards of free wall space in the shop, hoping to get them put up this weekend. My truck bed is only 10' so I had to check with State Police. The law allows 7' protrusion behind bumper, which will be exactly what I'll have including the mandatory red flag.

Bozo

Last edited:
Sure. I trust you've heard the saying "One man's trash is...?" Certainly applied here. Just as an example, do you see anything wrong with the grinding wheels in the picture? Look new to me, and I'm sure I can use them in one of many grinder-type machines we have; I can make a bushing for the arbor hole, if needed, in my sleep, almost. You also don't know what's underneath that top layer but as I recall there were many new-in-the-box taps one-inch dia. and over. Anyway I still have some of it to get out of the way in the shop so in a while I'm leaving for a 90 min. drive to pick up 3 more 16' pallet rack uprights to cover the last few yards of free wall space in the shop, hoping to get them put up this weekend. My truck bed is only 10' so I had to check with State Police. The law allows 7' protrusion behind bumper, which will be exactly what I'll have including the mandatory red flag.

Bozo

If that is how you evaluate a grinding wheel, make sure you are working alone when you fire the grinder up please!

Sure. I trust you've heard the saying "One man's trash is...?"

Bozo

Yeah, one mans trash is.....TRASH. If you are going to hang those on your wall for deco. great! But they are junk, you don't know if those wheels have been sitting in a bucket of oil for 50 years after some yahoo ground their aluminum bar stock down, then cleaned up the wheel by soaking them in another bucket of Acetone. Thats why dumpster diver applies. A rotten apple is still a rotten apple.

From my experience Doug is no Bozo, he was commenting on the rigging for the B indexer sitting on the flat bed, not okay with DOT. If you were aiming that at me well then, that's true, I am a Bozo.

Back