What's new
What's new

What is: 6-1*0+2/2=?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshive

Plastic
You may have seen this equation on social network sites. It's basically going "viral". What's funny is that machinists view these things differently so I figured I'd check out what you guys think. Using the traditional order of operations the answer is 7. But! And there is a but- the problem boils down to this:

6-0+1

Which I instantly think is 5. This is where I view this like a machinist because zero is "nothing" in code so I continue to the next digit. It's funny that hundreds of thousands of people disagree on the answer. A lot of people just add straight across and get 1.

When I checked an engineering forum they were all insisting 7 until I basically pointed out that to me the zero means "nothing/do nothing/do not pass go etc" which perked their ears up and they actually said I could be on to something.

Then I asked an acquaintance at Harvard who immediately said 7 then said something about axioms and stuff I didn't understand and eventually said that he'd accept my answer of 5 with an explanation of looking at the problem "in it's entirety" as opposed to left to right or something like that.

What do you think?

You may have seen this equation on social network sites. It's basically going "viral". What's funny is that machinists view these things differently so I figured I'd check out what you guys think. Using the traditional order of operations the answer is 7. But! And there is a but- the problem boils down to this:

6-0+1

Which I instantly think is 5. This is where I view this like a machinist because zero is "nothing" in code so I continue to the next digit. It's funny that hundreds of thousands of people disagree on the answer. A lot of people just add straight across and get 1.

When I checked an engineering forum they were all insisting 7 until I basically pointed out that to me the zero means "nothing/do nothing/do not pass go etc" which perked their ears up and they actually said I could be on to something.

Then I asked an acquaintance at Harvard who immediately said 7 then said something about axioms and stuff I didn't understand and eventually said that he'd accept my answer of 5 with an explanation of looking at the problem "in it's entirety" as opposed to left to right or something like that.

What do you think?

Result
I think 6-0+(2/2)=7 Regards libor

I can't see how that "code-approach" works, this is a mathematical equation and must be treated as one. And in mathematics multiplication and division takes precedence over addition and subtraction, so to solve it you have to follow this pattern:

6-1*0+2/2 = 6-(1*0)+(2/2) = 6-0+1=7

I worked it out to 7 without any major part of my conciousness waking up.

Guess I did pay attention in maths class......and been at this engineering lark for far too long

Boris

Well, its a "social network " thing going "viral", I'm pretty sure that's the only answer I need about what that thing is.

Mathematically 7, possible typing it in as shown on a scientific calculator would give you 5 (I haven't tried it, but they tend to solve right to left). Another interpreted answer could be 1 ((6-1)*0)+(2/2).

This is why in the real world we use parenthesis! Just another bullshit pseudo-intellectual facebook post...

7. Given the rules of math, there is only one right answer.

zero means "nothing/do nothing"

Nothing and do nothing are two TOTALLY different things. G0 Z0 sure does something! (CNC)

possible typing it in as shown on a scientific calculator would give you 5 (I haven't tried it, but they tend to solve right to left).

Not on a scientific calculator it wont. Maybe a $2 walmart one gives 5. Even windows calculator gets it right (7) by delaying operations when it sees higher order operations.

You guys have to remember the order of operations, PEMDAS:

Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication and Division
Addition and Subtraction

Not on a scientific calculator it wont. Maybe a $2 walmart one gives 5. Even windows calculator gets it right (7) by delaying operations when it sees higher order operations.

Fair enough. By habit I always use parenthesis when using my calculator, I suspect I was taught to use it that way in school but I don't remember.

Hello all, the answer is 1. Five multiplied by 0 [nothing] is 0. Sorry !!.
Another question, how thick would a piece of paper 0.001 inches thick end up if you could fold it 50 times. The correct answer will surprise you. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back