What's new
What's new

nmtb30 kennemetal quick change to bt30

Like said, BT30 will work in NMTB machine, but you have to make a metric drawbar. NMTB will not work in a BT30 machine, as the pull stud isn't there.

So as long as your machine takes NMTB, you are ok. If your machine takes BT30, you are not.

I see what you are saying. That angle that you point to is for the tool changer. It has nothing to do with retaining the tool.

The tool holder has a pull stud threaded into the back of it that the machine uses to "suck" the 30 taper up into it.

I think its going to be a little more complicated than that. QC30 has both sided of the flange qualified. I don't know about the diameter or location of the flange on a BT30 tool. You need to get dimensioned drawings and compare them.

After you find if it will work, then you will need to rework the BT30. If the holder is a good one it will be tough as woodpecker lips. And an interrupted cut to boot. Grinding would be an option but it will require a pretty good grinder.

Used QC30 holders from ebay may be your best option.

Machining the flange is no big deal. It will be mid to high 40's Rc.
No problem cutting it with carbide.
I've made a few NMTB30 into BT30s using inch pull studs. (Obviously hand loaded tools, no flange).
I've never tried the reverse.

The drawbar is the problem, I'm wondering if it would be long enough without the extension on a NMTB and a BT30 is a M12x1.75 thread while a NTMB 30 is a 1/2-13.
Even if you go to CAT, which will have the 1/2-13 threads it would seem that your drawbar would be short.

Yes the tapers are all the same setup on the grinder so yup, they will fit in the hole.

Lots of fiddle farting around involved, easier to buy the right tool.
Bob

If the spindle is equipped as a QC30 it doesn't use a drawbar. The tool is retained by a 1/4 turn nut on the face of the spindle. Flange face on taper side is for ejecting the tool, opposite taper is for retaining.

Kennametal/Erickson QC30 holders can be used as standard NMTB30 holders, but not vice versa.

If the spindle is equipped as a QC30 it doesn't use a drawbar. The tool is retained by a 1/4 turn nut on the face of the spindle. Flange face on taper side is for ejecting the tool, opposite taper is for retaining.

Kennametal/Erickson QC30 holders can be used as standard NMTB30 holders, but not vice versa.

My mistake then, thanks for the correction.
:dopeslap:........
Ive seen and worked with 100's if not more machines with NMTB30, BT30 and Cat30's but never seen a QC30.
I feel like such a stupid rookie compared to those who post here.
I should learn to shut the puck up.....:nono:...... (A lesson learned and I'll take my deserved beating behind the woodshed now.)
Bob

I converted on BT30 to QC 30. It was free and i just had to try. To get the thing to work i had to weld up the bevel on the nearest to tapper flange then machine. Post weld it got to a lot lot more than 40hrc!

Take some advice, don't bother. If you realy wont to use them make up a draw bar. A lot of qc30 machines had it as a option instead of r8 or one of the other 30-40 tapers needing a draw bar and hence can redily be fitted with a draw bar.

Back