What's new
What's new

OT: Sinking stainless tube in concrete for patio railing question

Caspian

Hot Rolled
I am going to fabricate a 304 stainless railing for around my patio. the base will be pavers. I am planning on sinking my 2 x 3 x 1/8" rectangular tubing about 18" into concrete forms. My question is, can i sink the tubes directly or should I drill a hole through the bottom and stick a bolt through it to give the tube something to "bite" into the concrete.

If you are going to put 2x3 stainless in 18 inches of concrete I wouldn't think you would need to put anything on them except maybe a second mortgage. :codger:

even 6" is enough depth that you dont need a crossbar.
The generally accepted way to do this is to fab up the railing first, then drop the whole thing into predrilled, oversize holes, and use rockite or a similar non-shrink fast set grout to anchor them. That way, you can level and plumb the whole railing, and not have to fab it all on site.

Amazon.com: Rocktite Quick Setting Cement - 10010 10# Rockite Patch Cement: Home Improvement

In existing concrete, you core drill the holes. For new concrete, you use foam rounds to place hold the holes, and rip them out after the concrete has set. Most concrete supply houses stock "ethafoam" a gray, round foam stick, in several diameters. you snip off as much as you need, and set them where you want em. secure with rebar, or wire, or plywood, above or below the pour, depending on conditions.

I am going to fabricate a 304 stainless railing for around my patio. the base will be pavers. I am planning on sinking my 2 x 3 x 1/8" rectangular tubing about 18" into concrete forms. My question is, can i sink the tubes directly or should I drill a hole through the bottom and stick a bolt through it to give the tube something to "bite" into the concrete.

Use sleeves in the wet concrete, empty cans an inch wider than the tubes will do.Cut the tops off ,stuff rolled up paper or a rag in the cans so concrete cannot get in. While the concrete is wet place the cans where the tubes will go.The tops of the cans should be about the top of the treads.Don't worry if the cans are not perfectly centered or plumb.After a couple of days you can install the rails.Pull the paper out,set the rails in the holes. Block up for height if needed.Plumb the rails temporaily.If any part ofv the can is too high,bend it in with a screw driver and crimp it inside the hole Mix up a small batch of hydraulic cement and pour into hole. Don't mix too much at a time,at least not at first because it sets up in ten minutes or less.Adding water will not retard the cement. Make the mix on the soupy side. Pour it in ,mix some more and repeat. Usually within 30 minutes the cement is hard enough to remove temporary braces used to plumb .Then use the braces on another rail.
Home depot and Lowe's both carry plastic buckets of hydraulic cement
You do not need to add any anchors ,assuming the rails are embedded at least 4" deep.
mike

Back